Notifications
Clear all

Gotta Move...maybe

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@bephoto)
Topic starter  

So, I just got my Foreign Birth certificate and Irish Passport. I am thinking of relocating myself, wife and kid of 16 to Ireland. I have family in Fermoy and Sligo. Jobs could be coming from Dublin. I will probably do a reconnoiter this November or December of 2016. I should get my name on a utility bill and apply for a PPS#. Anything else. I know the forum will help me, and believe me, I need help. Thanks in advance. You can email me direct at: bobelliottmd@gmail.com

Bob Elliott

Thanks

(@bephoto)
Topic starter  

Oh...How do I get a medical card? I do not have employment yet.

Bob

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Congrats, Bob! And best of luck with your planning.

If you can get your name on a utility bill of a relative, it'll help you get a headstart on so many things, including opening a bank account. Depending on how long you spend in Ireland during a trip, you may be able to do this with your Irish details. The PPS# is crucial too, as you already seem to be aware of.
I'd also start looking into how you want to transfer money to Ireland. There are plenty of options, and you might have seen that I strongly recommend Currency Fair. I've personally used them numerous times, and they will save you a lot of money in comparison to bank transfers. You will need an Irish address to open an account.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Here is all the info you will need to apply for a medical card in Ireland. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/medical_cards_and_gp_visit_cards/medical_card.html

I'm unsure if new immigrants are eligible. If you find out, please update us here.

ReplyQuote
(@rikkes)

Hi Bob,
You will only be eligible for a medical card if your income is quite low. There is also a GP visit card which people with a slightly higher income are eligible for but again the upper threshold is quite low. GP visit cards are available to those over 70 and under 6 without means testing. The plan from the government is for the GP visit programme to be extended to all children under 18 over the next few years but we will see if that actually happens!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

#ReturningtoIreland and on a low income? You may be entitled to a #MedicalCard. Read here for details:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/medical_cards_and_gp_visit_cards/medical_card.html

ReplyQuote
Share: