looking to move over to Ireland?  


Sinead McHale
New Member
Joined:5 months  ago
Posts: 1
07/05/2017 9:53 am  



I am looking to move over to Ireland. I was born i London and my dad was born in Ireland.  My partner is also from Ireland. My main concern is doctors over there jusy with the cost. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and will be on medication for life. I was wondering if i would be able to qualify for a medical card or what would be the best thing to do?

Thank you 


Reputable Member Admin
Joined:3 years  ago
Posts: 426
07/05/2017 11:26 pm  

Hi Sinead, welcome to the site.

I'm not overly familiar with the medical set up in the UK, but I have a feeling that it may be better there than in Ireland for a person with a long term condition.

Eligibility for a medical card in Ireland is based on your income level. They means test each application. Here's a quote taken directly from HSE.ie : "Medical card eligibility is based on an assessment of means. To qualify your weekly income must be below the income threshold. Any income, savings, investments and property (except for your own home) are taken into account in the means test."

I'd suggest reading all the eligibility information at this link  http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/about/Amieligible/



Please Login or Register