What obstacles have...

Notifications
Clear all

What obstacles have you faced as a returning Irish emigrant?

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

There was an interesting article in the Irish Independent a few days ago, written by David McWilliams, about what kind of incentives could be afforded to Irish citizens abroad, in an effort to encourage them to consider moving ‘home’. The article describes how there were literally thousands upon thousands of Irish people who have left Ireland in recent years, many of which would now love to return to Ireland and settle here.

Coincidentally, just a couple of days before reading the article, I had a conversation via email with a member of this site on exactly this topic. Like I did a year ago, he falls into the category of people who McWilliams describes as the ‘near diaspora’. These are people described as “born in this country who have gone away but would like to settle in Ireland.” We briefly talked about the difficulties people are encountering as they attempt to get back to Ireland many of which could definitely be made a lot easier. We discussed how it’s common to be turned down for a job interview in Ireland just because you may live abroad. Ever heard of Skype? A few of the other things we mentioned were: the recognition of foreign-earned degrees, relocation expenses, relevant experience abroad etc. David McWilliams went further in his list of things the Irish government and employers could help with in encouraging our emigrants back to Ireland. Among other things he mentioned tax breaks, schooling for kids, job fairs at Irish airports, and eligibility for social welfare assistance. You can read the full article here.

Speaking from first-hand experience, I know there are countless obstacles returning-Irish face when trying to plan their move back to Ireland. I created this forum topic to facilitate a place to discuss these issues. If you would like to offer your own experiences please do so below.
To help get you started, maybe you could answer: what obstacles are you facing while trying to move back to Ireland, and what could be done to make it easier?
Or alternatively, describe how you overcame a major obstacle that was making your decision to move back to Ireland more difficult.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Just to add a few of the obstacles I faced myself, which to be honest, were quite disruptive to my adjustment back home:
- The mortgage application process
- Needing to take driving lessons to get a license
- The school waiting list fiasco

ReplyQuote
 Cfin
(@cfinegan)

Still the same one obstacle here. No job. I've even flown out to interview in Ireland but I have the same obstacle. In my industry they seem to have a massive issue with hiring anyone who isn't already resident in Ireland. Many of my friends have the same issue trying to return from Australia, Canada or the U.S. Anything at all would do but unfortunately nothing has shown up to date.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

I'm sure that's an issue with many employers in Ireland that might be less of a problem in the US, @Cfin. I know of plenty of people who got hired as a result of Skype/phone interviews in the US, but have heard plenty of people complain of it being an issue in Ireland. I can understand it to an extent, but most employment is contingent these days (at least for a while), so if the candidate seems to be a good fit after a number of long distance interviews, then I think they are worth giving a chance.

ReplyQuote
(@susan3)

hi! i just found this site today and it is SO helpful! thanks!
my obstacle is...
my husband is irish and i have irish citizenship through marriage for a long time now. i have spent a lot of time in ireland over the years. a million reasons are pressing us to move over (and we want to!) but we can't get my son citizenship (he is 19) i guess because my citizenship is through marriage, and my husband is his stepfather (so the citizenship through the parent thing won't work). since he is over 18, seems like there are not a whole lot of options (but there weren't before he was 18 either.) it was suggested to me to write to the dept of justice and explain. has anybody here been in this situation (i surely can't be the only one, but i have found no info anywhere about it.) or have any experience with the dept of justice? any advice would be much appreciated! cheers!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Susan,
I am glad you are finding the site helpful so far, but sorry to hear of your dilemma with your son.
As I'm sure you can appreciate, the citizenship process is a complicated thing, and in a situation like yours it obviously isn't very straightforward.

I don't mean to pawn you off to another site or anything, but have you reviewed the official details at this link
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP11000014

Also, have you tried contacting anyone in a position of authority in Ireland on this matter? Is your son (or does he plan to be) in full time education? That might be one route worth exploring.

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@susan3)

thank you for your quick response, liam! yes. and i actually phoned INIS who directed me to the local immigration office where we plan to move. i phoned the immigration office too, for instant gratification. it was the immigration officer that suggested i write to the dept of justice, which seems to be at the same address as INIS. it is a big circle i am going around, seems, but i have my letter written. i'll give it a shot.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Susan
Did they give you any guidance as to what to put in your letter?

I'd love to hear how it goes. It may help others in a similar situation.

I wish you the best.
Liam

ReplyQuote
(@susan3)

ha! she did.
she asked "who would your son live with if you left him in the u.s.?"
i said there really wasn't anybody.
she said "that's what you tell them. there's nobody to mind him."
that was her guidance. haha! thanks for the well wishes. i think i am gonna need them!
i will keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
(@susan3)

years ago, if it helps anybody else (it has been helping me.) when i applied for my irish citizenship, i asked about getting my son citizenship. they said my husband would have to legally adopt him. that wasn't an option, so i told her that. she said my son would have to live there for 5 years to apply for citizenship. when i asked "how would he be able to stay for 5 years if he is not a citizen?" and she just said "we don't split families up." which really isn't that helpful at all, but a little reassuring in our case 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: