Work permit for American w/ Irish Spouse

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@soju4321)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

Quick summary of my situation. Moving to Ireland with my wife (Irish national) early next year. I'm a dental hygienist here in the states and I'm looking into getting licensed in Ireland. The exam is every 1-3 year depending on the demand and the dental boards "thinks" there will an exam this year. If the exam were to happen this year I would have to establish work permit in Ireland to be seated.

My question is once I establish a work permit (Stamp 4) is there a time frame where my wife and I can't leave Ireland? Just say the exam is in August, can my wife and I go to Ireland few weeks before the exam and we both go to the local immigration for a stamp 4, can she leave the next day back to the states? We're flying into Ireland this weekend for 2 weeks, can we just get the work permit next week and freely leave Ireland a week after and I can just come back to Ireland alone for the exam? I just don't want immigration to think it's a sham marriage.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

It's not something that you'd want to rush through really. For one, you need to submit your passport (and spouses) along with the application for residency. That'll take a bit of time to receive back. Read the full details here in the INIS site

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

ReplyQuote
(@soju4321)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank Liam for the info. Do you know how long it takes for the non-irish spouse to get the work permit? We're trying to pin down our timeline for the big move.

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

I believe the current processing time is 8 weeks, if the application is submitted correctly and there are no errors. I think this is listed on the Immigration website under visa applications.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

It would actually be easier if you were moving to any other EU country. Essentially each EU country has more options over their own citizens because they are still sovereign countries. When going to another EU country the freedom of movement rules apply. For example Irish moving to Ireland is subject to any restrictions set by Ireland. Irish moving to another EU country can do so under the freedom of movement and family reunification EU rules apply.

For me Ireland is easier than UK as a UK citizen with an American spouse, pending the Brexit stuff. There is somebody else on here who is looking at Ireland instead of Denmark for similar reasons.

If the UK stays in the EU after June 23, the UK would be easier than Ireland, even if there will be some red tape.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Off topic @dorzak but do you get to vote in the UK brexit? Just wondering is it like Ireland where the Irish abroad cannot vote.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

I have never been on the voting rolls in the UK, so I can't. Expats who have been out of the UK at least 15 years are also unable to vote. Some of those have filed a lawsuit to try and get a vote which could delay the voting date.

ReplyQuote
Share: