How much does it cost to fly a dog to Ireland
As a follow up to my previous post, I thought it'd be interesting and useful information to share exactly how much I paid to fly my dog to Ireland (from California). This is a guide only. A lot of factors will impact your own costs e.g. size and weight of your dog, kennel size, pet re-locator you choose, cost of veterinarian visits where you live etc. This cost breakdown is for a 25 pound dog, travelling in a 32Lx23Wx25H crate from LAX to Dublin.
Breakdown of costs to fly my dog to Ireland
- Veterinarian costs - 3 visits at a total cost of $323. This covered pet passport documentation, treatment for tapeworm, rabies vaccination and final health check.
- Pet re-locator fee - $1665
- Car hire to take pet to airport - $35 (needed in my case as I had already sold my own car.)
- Dept of Agriculture/veterinarian fee in Dublin - 230 Euro (approx $290)
- USDA endorsement fee - $38
- Overnight rush fee for USDA - $72 (documentation had to be delivered overnight to and from USDA offices, due to tight timelines)
- Taxi's in Dublin to/from Lissenhall and train station - 35 Euro (approx $44)
- Transport from Dublin to Cork via train - 30 Euro (approx $38) (no additional fee for pet)
Total cost - $2505 (approx)
Other possible costs you might incur
- Microchip - your pet must have an approved microchip to travel on the EU pet passport scheme. My dog already had one of these, so I did not include that in my cost breakdown.
- Travel crate - I had a pet travel crate from my previous international moves. These can be quite expensive so I suggest shopping around. Also, keep in mind that many people will use their travel crate just once while moving, and will want to sell it afterwards. You may be able to pick up a used one at a fraction of the cost. Be sure it meets your airline's requirements (you're pet re-locator should be able to guide you).
If you have shipped a dog (or any other pet) to Ireland from anywhere in the world, please use the comments section or form below if you have a price breakdown of your own you can share.
Sending your pet to Ireland? I can help you save.