Need tax advice - U...

Notifications
Clear all

Need tax advice - US Citizen possibly moving to Ireland on work visa - any recommendations?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gregseattle)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Is there an accountant (or similar expert, or website) you'd recommend to give me an advice session (possibly one-off, possibly for longer term relationship, I'd pay for it either way) on US - Ireland tax considerations for a working-in-Ireland American?  

I'm a US Citizen in a "critical skills" occupation.  My wife is too.  I'm considering pursuing some Ireland-based employment opportunities, but want to get a good picture of what I'd be in for tax-wise.  The general hypothetical scenario is I'd be working for an Irish firm on the appropriate employment-based visa for two years or more, Irish wages paid in Euros, then maybe stay (with or without original employer, maybe continue working, maybe retire early). I have 8 years til retirement give or take.  So throughout those years I'd want to know what my tax situation would be for my Irish wages and some "passive" income from US sources (mutual funds, possible sale of Pacific NW home), plus how my American 401k/IRA would be treated before and after I retire if we kept living in Ireland.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!   For US only tax questions, I've used "justanswer.com" in the past (you pay by the question) and found they were very accurate... in this case I'd be fine working with an individual, a firm, or a web service with the right expertise. 

Thank you,

Greg

(@sheridan)

Hi Greg, I am also in tech in PNW, and my husband and I are also planning a move to Ireland (we’ve already purchased a house in Kerry which I’ve been visiting every few months, with another trip in a few weeks.) Have you and your wife made the move already? I’d love to chat about your job transfer experience - I’ve got to get on that myself. I’d love to chat more about your experience since it sounds like we’re in similar position!

Cheers,

Sheridan

ReplyQuote
Share: