Is it safe to send ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is it safe to send our dogs in the cargo area of a plane?

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hey folks,

I received an email yesterday from one of our new members, @dee, regarding the safety of pet relocation via air cargo. Here's Deborah's message:

How safe is it to put my 2 dogs in the Cargo of a Plane to Ireland? I am so worried about doing this. I did look into taking them by Cruise Ship but I than have to get them from England to Ireland. This part won't work for me. It's also a lot more money than flying as I have very big dogs and would need two crates on the ship. I have been told this by the Cruise people.

Deborah - I feel your pain! I have gone through this process quite a few times, and each time is difficult knowing that there are things that could go wrong along the way. I absolutely hate handing my pet over to someone, and having no control over their safety for the length of the journey.

Like I responded via email, every time I have relocated a pet of mine, it has been a success. I think it's pretty rare that anything does go wrong, but over the years I have heard a few less than positive stories - injured pets, lost animals etc.

I think a fair question to ask your pet relocation company is how successful they are at relocating pets. They may not want to share any bad information, but if you ask them straight out, you should expect a straight answer.

In the meantime, maybe we can get some more feedback here. Without naming names of companies if you have had a bad experience, how safe do you think it is (or have you found it to be), to send your pet via air cargo?

@cfinegan recently moved his pet to Ireland via the US. Maybe he'll chime in, along with others...

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

One of the things that I think airlines are very cautious about is the level of heat at your departure and destination points (never really a concern in Ireland, but very likely from many worldwide departure points). The airlines won't accept your pet for travel if the temperature is/will be above a certain limit. For example, American Airlines pet policy currently includes a statement indicating that the pet cannot travel "if the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary."

As much as this may be a hassle when planning your move, it's reassuring to know that the safety of your pet is important to the airline.

ReplyQuote
 Cfin
(@cfinegan)

It's completely safe! I had a horrific experience but that was because of the companies I used and it was an absolute rip off. Let's just say, I used Ireland's national carrier and the only company that they use to fly dogs in. Picked my dog up in a back alley outside Chicago. They then wouldn't allow us to fly because the air con in the luggage area our dog would be in was broken. The rest gets worse but only for the humans. Usually that airline are fine but flying out of OrD they use local contracted employees who don't give a fig....
As for the pet carrier, they charge you a fortune, and then they do absolutely nothing.
Also when the pet arrives in Ireland they told me the vet I collect him from is 24/7. On the contrary it's not even a good vet by Irish standards and it opens only from 9-5. A massive joke!! I've also read bad things about this same pet carrier since.

If you get your dog on board the plane, everything is fine. It's not the process or going on the plane that is the issue. It's the horrible people who don't do a good job even after being paid a lot of money that are the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@dee)

Thank you for the helping.
I have looked into a few pet movers and I have pinned it down to two.
But One of them sounds very like the one in the above post.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

An alternative to consider is coming in through another EU country. Some examples are there is a carrier that flies from Toronto, Canada to the continent that allows small dogs in the cabin (not just service dogs).

There is also a cruise line that goes transatlantic that has a kennel on board.

ReplyQuote
(@kellypsd)

I will be relocating to Ireland next year from California. My two large dogs (my family) absolutely must come with me. I plan to drive them from CA to Boston simply so they have the least amount of time possible on an airline. I was told that Aer Lingus requires a pet transportation company. I contacted them and they seem quite nice although expensive. To tell you the true I don't care what the cost is as long as I receive my pets safe and sound. I have some months still to make arrangements so I'm exploring. I am unsure whether the pet transport company is required by Aer Lingus or by Ireland. I called Delta Airlines last night and they said as long as my dogs are service animals and have the proper paperwork, they can ride up in the cabin with me, although one at a time, requiring me to make two trips. I'm just having a lot of anxiety thinking about my dogs down in the cargo area, and that is my main problem/concern. SO nervous!!! Can anyone help me with the decision? Any bad experiences? Lots of good experiences? That's what I need to hear. Also, at Lissenhall, my female will be very anxious just getting off a plane, etc. she might be snappy with a stranger examining her, are they ok with requiring her to be muzzled? I don't want my dog deemed ferocious -she is NOT-- but she will naturally be nervous and I cannot be there so they tell me. Aaaagggghhhhhh!!! Help!

ReplyQuote
(@dee)

Hi Kelly, I took my two Labrador's to Ireland in July flew on Aer Lingus Cargo JFK, to Dublin. And we flew back in pro JFK, September from Shannon.
They done great as soon as we opened there create's in Lissenhall my babies so happy to there Mommy. The check up in Lissenhall with the Vet took only minutes it all depends on how busy they are. In all from the dogs taken from the Plane to Lissenhall, around 2hrs. I was very worried my self about putting my fur kids in Cargo but happy to say for my babies it was great turn out.
I was told I could only use one pet shipper if I wanted my dogs to fly with Aer Lingus, they done a great job I ran into a lot of problems with my Vet and staff they had know idea on how to fill out all the papers without the help of the pet shipper stepping in I just don't know what would have happen.
There is no way around it we have to use a Pet shipper no matter what Airline company we use because I have called so many Airlines over the last 12 months and they all tell me I most book by using a pet shipper.
Delta, will carry a dog in the cabin but a person most have a letter be from Psychiatrist stating they need there dog with them.
I will be making the trip back to Ireland my self in about 5 months with my two Labrador's I have been looking into using another pet shipping thus time around.
I have been told by three other pet shippers that it's possible For them all now to book Aer Lingus ? Please allow your self a few months to put the move together for your for babies. And asked as many Questions as you can.
And call the USDA office near you they were very helpful to me.
One last thing my Chocolate Labrador i was worried about him flying the most as he is very nervous dog but he done great.
If I can be anymore help Plese just ask.

Yours Debbie

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

@kellypsd You have very valid concerns, Kelly, as I did too each and every time I flew my dogs across the Atlantic. However, if it helps put your mind at rest, my dogs never had any issues, and the pet transporters do understand the criticality of their jobs. They take good care of the pets.

The use of a pet transport company is required by the airline. They didn't always require it, but they do now. It definitely jacks up the cost as you can see here: How much does it cost to fly a dog to Ireland?

Many years ago I did a similar thing to what your planning. I drove from CA to NY to minimize my dogs flight time. I have to say I regretted it. 6 days couped up in a car was worse than an extra 6 hours in the air, in my opinion. But do whatever you feel is best, of course.

Ask the pet transport people about whether or not you can muzzle your dog. I didn't do this myself, so it wasn't something I looked into.

Best wishes to you and your pets 🙂 I hope it all works out perfectly for you, and everyone travels safe. Feel free to ask more questions or share your experience as you explore more.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

@dee, thanks for sharing your experience Deborah, and I'm so happy to hear everything worked out great for your pets 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

This paragraph here might indicate a low risk country isn't required for the animal to come in via freight. The information about low risk countries is one the page in the section about travel from within the EU, but none of the low risk countries are EU member states. I have used the contact us link to ask for more information.

As regards air travel, the Department does not require that pets travelling from countries listed in http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/qualifyingcountriesterritories/ be carried as manifested freight and it is therefore a matter for the airlines to decide whether to carry the animal in the cabin or as excess baggage.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/catsdogsandferretsaccompaniedietravelingwithin5daysofowners/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: