Clear all

Estate agents and rentals

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sportsman)
Topic starter  

Hi New boy here.
We are from UK but have been living in France for six years.
We are looking to move to Ireland as soon as we can arrange somewhere to live.
Income derives from a Ltd company based in UK which also operates in Ireland.
We will need a mortgage to purchase a property in Ireland ans as we have no history we have been told that we will need to rent a house for at least 6 months to qualify for the mortgage, so I have been looking at lots of potential properties on line and have sent a total of 23 emails to various estate agents. Total responses? 3.

If I ask for information we just get told "everything we have is on the website. Come in to the office to discuss it" even though we are in a different country.
We have pets and we are looking for a property that is not on a busy road but if we ask about finding the house on Google maps it os "sorry, we can't help you with that, we may have some properties that would be suitable come into the office. They will not accept the fact that I am not going to spend days travelling on the off chance they might have something suitable. I am perfectly happy to travel to see something that I know is suitable beforehand.
This is not a dig at Irish estate agents, French agents are even worse and charge more.
So, anyone know of a house (min 3 beds/baths detached) in a quiet and secluded location, anywhere in Ireland that is to let for 6 months to a year that will accept pets.
Budget 800-1500 a month and happy to pay 6 months up front.
If the house turns out to be for sale at the end of the rental period that would be perfect, budget 250,000 - 350,000. It would save moving again.
Sorry for the long winded rant but getting very frustrated.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi David,

Not so sure about the need to rent for 6 months. I would definitely check all the banks before going down that route. Maybe one or 2 may be willing to lend to you if they look favourably on your financial history elsewhere in the EU. You might also want to try a broker or 2 for that purpose.

You may be surprised with your number or responses, but in my own personal experience it's the norm. Estate agents are notoriously difficult to deal with and get hold of in Ireland. Honestly, my own experience with 3 or 4 of them was terrible. It shouldn't be much to expect a returned phonecall/email, or to arrange to meet to see a property, right?

You're probably not going to find a house to rent or for sale on this site. It's really not the place. The advice I would give would be to ring, not email, and if possible arrange a house-hunting visit. I know that shouldn't be necessary to just get further details, but that's the way they do business.

Have you tried myhome.ie? There map view is quite useful, and you may be able to find the house you're looking for on there.

ReplyQuote
(@hometoireland)

Good places for 6 month or less rentals are holiday areas as the owners often want to stay in the home for the summer but want to rent it out in the "off-season". You might still get stuck dealing with an estate agent though. Maybe try airbnb.com or homeaway.com?

ReplyQuote
Share: