Clear all

Moving from the USA with my family and have a few questions

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@glennenglishnyc)
Topic starter  

Hey Forum,
I'm a US born citizen with a dual citizenship in Ireland, which I received some 20 years ago as a foreign birth registration. My wife and I, along with our young daughter are interested in coming to live in Dublin sometime in 2017 and are seeking some advice. Since I have an Irish pass port I should have the right to work upon arriving, yes? Once I'm hired, I can apply for residency, how long does that typically take? Also, what's the process for my wife? She's a US citizen as well. How long is the work paper process for her? If there's an employer interested in hiring her already, will that speed up the process? My daughter is in the process of applying for her citizenship the same way I got mine, once that is in place can she qualify for public education right away? Or will she have to wait for me to receive residency?
Sorry for the many questions, you need not answer them all but any advice is greatly appreciated in advance. Cheers, Glenn

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hey Glenn, Nice to meet you, and welcome to the IMC 🙂

You sure do have the right to work immediately upon arrival. No length of residency is required for you as a passport holder.
I'm going to make an assumption as to what you mean by "residency". Certain things take a period of time to qualify for e.g. child welfare payments, any kind of social assistance etc. check out this post on the Habitual Residency Condition. Also, banks may require a period of residency before being willing to offer loans of any kind. Is that what you mean?

Regarding your wife, she can freely travel to Ireland as a US citizen. Upon arrival she can apply for residency. I'll past a link to other forum posts on that topic below.

How old is your daughter. Public primary and secondary school education shouldn't be a problem no matter what. But, if she's college age, then fees will most likely apply until a number of years of residecny is achieved. You can find details on that here.

Happy to help with any other questions....
Liam

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Glenn, I think this should apply to your wife...
http://irelandmoveclub.com/forums/topic/employment-and-job-permit-for-spouse-of-eu-citizen/

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

Remember the Dublin is probably the most expensive place in Ireland to live. Also your Ireland Passport opens up working anywhere in the EU.

ReplyQuote
Share: