Notifications
Clear all

buying a house in ireland

8 Posts
3 Users
4 Likes
(@bigjo)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone first time on this forum, id like to ask some questions on buying a house in ireland, i live in the uk, and my house is up for sale as we want to live in ireland permanently, i have been looking in many areas of ireland and they are all very nice and extremly clean, my problem is all this bidding on houses, i have had my eye on one property in particular, but found on one estate agents its up for sale for 100000 euros, the same house on another estate agents its on sale for 790000, both asking for bids, i dont get this, why cant it just have one set price as we do in the uk, is anyone else having this problem, also how long does it take for a house to go through in ireland, i will be paying cash for my house we wont be needing a mortgage we dont have one with the house we are selling, will this help when buying the fact we are cash buyers, how do i prove i will be a cash buyer as i havent sold my house as yet so how would i prove that, thankyou for your help,

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi @bigjo, and welcome.

I would say that it is very unusual for the a house to be listed with 2 different estate agents. You don't mean that it is listed online in 2 places do you? If that's the case, then I'm imagining that one of the prices is just a typo.

The whole bidding process in Ireland is a bit of a shambles if you ask me. I got quite fed up with how things were handled to be quite honest. I had bought a house in the US years back, and was used to a more professional and transparent approach. You can find more details here: http://irelandmoveclub.com/irish-home-bidding-process-seriously-flawed/

As for proving you will be a 'cash' buyer, that'll be very hard to prove until you have the money in the bank. There's nothing stopping you bidding for a house in Ireland, and at the same time, planning to rent out your UK house.
Being a cash buyer does hold some weight. The sale won't be contingent on you being approved for a mortgage, but like I say, you need to prove you have that cash.

Regarding the time that it'll take to go through. There's a whole list of formalities (including legal) that need to happen to buy/sell a property in Ireland. Are you familiar with the Conveyancing process? That can throw up some issues, especially in rural parts or houses that are being sold off as part of an inheritance.

Again, welcome!
Liam

ReplyQuote
(@bigjo)
Topic starter  

Hi Liam, i just looked again one is listed with, propertysteps,IE at AMV.79,000, and on property.I.E. for 110.000 euros, propertysteps is taking bids but property.IE is 110,000Euros, i dont understand it to be honest if a house is under offer in the uk then no one else can have it , all this bidding business is stupid, how long will the bidding go on for, rediculous situation isnt it, why is it not regulated in ireland?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Yes, that's what I was used to in the US too. Once you submit a bid, it is handled (accepted, rejected, countered etc). There were a few instances in Ireland where we would submit a bid, and then basically be ignored for weeks. The hope is that someone else comes in for the house so they can play people off each other. Irish auctioneers are notoriously elusive after they have received a bid. Honestly, it is so amateurish, and completely disrespectful. They do have to hold a license but I've never heard a case where it is threatened for this kind of behavior.

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

Not unusual for a property that has been on the market for some time to be with 2 auctioneers especially if its a rural property there must be half a dozen within a 20 mile radius of here.

Thing is that until someone puts down a deposit as a commitment to buy then the property is on the market. If you have the funds to put down then commitment to buy to completion of sale can be really fast. You need to get a solicitor involved just before you commit to buy. There are far fewer cowboy auctioneers than there were when we were moving over 10 years ago.

ReplyQuote
(@bigjo)
Topic starter  

Thanks to both of you for your help, im just finding it hard to understand how to buy a house in ireland, its different to the uk but im learning fast lol, i have the deposit to put down but i thought my house had to be sold first before i offer on another in ireland, again i dont understand irish laws, so if i havent sold mine i can still put a deposit to hold the property but would the owner be prepared to wait till mine is sold,

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

Once you put a deposit down you are committed to buy. we were unfortunate in respect that we had "sold" Chris's house and I had some funds so we put down our deposit and started the buying process. Then on the day of completion UK side the buyer pulled out (went Bankrupt!) so we had furniture in storage, a house here that was having some legal points sorted out and a few other complications. so to finish the purchase over here I sorted a second mortgage on the UK house and fortunately we had a large touring caravan which we effectively lived in whilst the house finally sold and Chris could stop working which was paying a double mortgage UK side. All irrelevant except as a demonstration of a lesson learned.

My Advice. Do not commit to anything over here until your house UK side is sold or if you have funds and consider Renting your UK house through an agent to sort rent, repairs and UK tax's etc. Once you commit and put down a deposit you will be expected to complete within a reasonable time or lose your deposit.

ReplyQuote
(@bigjo)
Topic starter  

WOW thankyou tony for explaining this to me, im very grateful for your honesty, this is what we are afraid of doing, but reading what happened to you is an eyeopener, so sorry you had to go through all that, im learning very fast, but with both your help its making it much easier now, i didnt think about all this to be very honest, and being retired this would have been so very hard on us if it had happened to us, so im very grateful to you tony, once again thankyou very much,

ReplyQuote
Share: