Move to Ireland and work remotely for US company

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
23.7 K Views
(@lreinbach)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,
We are a family with kids currently living in the US and would love to make the move to Ireland. My husband works remotely and can live anywhere. I am wondering if it is even possible for us to move and if so, what visa or other requirements would we need? In order to apply for a work permit it looks like you need to have a job with a company that is in Ireland, so that wouldn't work for us. I can't find any information about our particular situation.
Thanks so much!
Laura

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Laura, and welcome.
I recommend you check out the link below to see your visa options. Unless you have family ties to Ireland, or have some in-demand, highly skilled qualifications, it can be difficult. There are visa options for education, but I'm guessing that's not what you want.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/working_in_ireland/coming_to_work_in_ireland.html
Even though your husband works remotely, he'd still need to be eligible to work in Ireland, to live there while doing that.
Are there other specific questions you need help with?
Liam

ReplyQuote
(@lreinbach)
Topic starter  

I guess my question is: would he be eligible to work there? We don't fall under any category they have listed for "coming to work in Ireland" so I don't know if our unique situation would qualify for a different type of visa.
Thanks for the link,
Laura

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

Hi Laura,

Does your husband's employer happen to have an office in Ireland? If not, i think you're only option would be to prove that you can financially support yourselves during your time in Ireland. Or as Liam mentioned, go back to school and be on an education visa.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Without knowing much about your husbands background, Laura, it's almost impossible to comment. If he is a non-EEA citizen, then he will need a visa of some sort. That may be employer-sponsored, or some other kind, but it's not easy to just come and work for non-EEA citizens.

ReplyQuote
(@lreinbach)
Topic starter  

no, unfortunately there is no office in Ireland. Who would we contact in order to prove that we could financially support ourselves?

Liam, we are both US citizens.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I think what Kate is referring to is the Stamp 0 process, which does not entitle you to work while in Ireland, even remotely. It also restricts you from use of irish public services, which most likely would include school for your kids too. It's not intended for long term immigrants. For that you have to qualify for a visa.

Is there an embassy near where you live that you could call or drop in to? There's a good chance they'll refer you to the online material for visa applicants, but sometimes it's good to talk to someone.

I know this does not sound very encouraging, but it is difficult to move to the EU with citizenship and/or sponsored employment.

ReplyQuote
(@lreinbach)
Topic starter  

You're right, a Stamp 0 wouldn't work for us. We plan on paying taxes and utilizing services (ie. school).
Yes, we did call the embassy and they referred us to a 1-900 number which cost $2-something a minute, so we decided not to do that.
It does seem like this may not work for us, unfortunately:(

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

My recommendation is look at your family history. It is easiest is grandparent or more recent immigrated to your current country for either of you. Some countries it can be based on years and in some cases even several hundred years like Lithuania.

ReplyQuote
(@lreinbach)
Topic starter  

I have already looked at my family ancestry. I am a quarter Irish through my paternal grandmother, but she was born in the US. If only they went back a little further...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: