Shipping an oddly sized container to Ireland  

RSS

Tanya Brody
(@harpchic42)
21/07/2018 4:58 am  

Hello all,

Has anyone had experience shipping an oddly sized container to Ireland? I plan on bringing my harp (yes the instrument) and I'm debating whether I should take it with me in cargo on the plane or have it shipped. (It will be treated roughly either way in my experience.) I have a carbon fiber shipping case that is oddly sized, but definitely up to the task. However, I doubt USPS would take it because of its dimensions. I've shipped this container via Fedex and UPS, but never internationally. 

I'm only staying for 3 months, so I'm probably not shipping any other containers if I do this. Any input would be appreciated. 
Thanks,
Tanya

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
30/07/2018 5:11 am  

@harpchic42 Hi Tanya,

you can probably ship it in a hard container - something like a wooden box with inside padding. That box can then be shipped as part of a larger shipment with other people's things. Oops, just re-reading your post...if you're only staying 3 months, you'd be there and back before your shipment arrives most likely.

I'd check with FedEx/UPS etc for international rates and options. I'm sure you're not the first person to ship something large internationally. 

Check out my brand new Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

ReplyQuote
Jean Bolger
(@jeanb)
06/08/2018 6:50 pm  

Take it on the plane as baggage, pay the oversize/overweight charges.  Is it a full size concert harp? They do have maximum sizes, so you might research your particular carrier or give them a call. If you are within their pretty generous limits then it's just a $100-200 surcharge on your baggage, and I'd bet any shipping company would be a lot more than that.
I travel with a bass player frequently so I've had experience with this. Sometimes you even get lucky and get a music enthusiast at the airline check-in desk that will give you a pass on the extra charges. So be nice to them 😉

ReplyQuote
Share: