Notifications
Clear all

Ireland via another EU country

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jason1575)
Topic starter  

I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere, but any thoughts on getting to Ireland via another EU country? There's a lot of resistance to getting sponsored for a work visa in Ireland. I have quite a few bites, but they all want someone with a visa in hand(and a degree would really help), and I've yet to find someone willing to sponsor(not giving up). I do have a Skype interview next week with a company in London, and they are willing to sponsor my work permit. My thoughts are to work/live in the UK until I can acquire citizenship(5 years min I believe) then I should be free to move about and work in the EU, correct? I would like to verify this if I can, just to make sure it will allow me to ultimately get to Ireland. And hey, I can always go visit Ireland regularly during this time šŸ™‚

Thanks in advance!

(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

UK citizens are free to move about throughout the EU for work or pleasure. If you have Irish ancestry parents or Grandparents born on the Island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship.

ReplyQuote
(@jason1575)
Topic starter  

Thanks Tony(@tony2phones)! Unfortunately my heritage goes way back. My Irish ancestors came over in 1799 and my English ancestors came over in the early 1700's. How is life in the UK? Again, I'm hoping this interview goes well and I can make my way to Ireland via the UK.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

"How is life in the UK?"

Depends what your expectations are? Personally I'm glad its behind me but then I'm born and bred country and an industrial dinosaur as a heavy engineer (mechanical).

The remaining family over there range from white van girl, waste recycling, health service, education and Chris's lad is high tec web design and development. As the old story if your happy in your work your pretty happy anywhere. Other points depend on just where in the UK?

Best of luck with the interview.

ReplyQuote
(@jason1575)
Topic starter  

Thank you. The company is located in Bushey, but I believe they would prefer I live with easy access to the M4 corridor, so maybe Reading area? My plan is to negotiate this if I can, prefer to get farther from London to bring housing prices down. I do get a company car that I can use for personal reasons, so that will help tremendously. Again, I'm hoping it works and I can tough it out long enough to gain citizenship, and since I'll do some traveling perhaps a company in Ireland will offer something.

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

Never know you might get to like it down there under the Chilterns šŸ˜‰

ReplyQuote
(@jason1575)
Topic starter  

I had to Google "Chilterns", lol, but it looks beautiful!

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

UK citizens are free to move about throughout the EU for work or pleasure. If you have Irish ancestry parents or Grandparents born on the Island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship.

That may change depending on the Brexit stuff. That being said it is uncertain how that will affect UK/Ireland because there were already existing agreements for free movement that predated the EU.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

Thanks Tony(@tony2phones)! Unfortunately my heritage goes way back. My Irish ancestors came over in 1799 and my English ancestors came over in the early 1700ā€™s. How is life in the UK? Again, Iā€™m hoping this interview goes well and I can make my way to Ireland via the UK.

Thank you!

What about the rest of your family? You would be surprised what little branches family trees have.

ReplyQuote
(@jason1575)
Topic starter  

Thanks David! I'll look into my wife's family, but I know both sides of mine have been in the US for a long time.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: