154 Users
98 Likes
49.9 K Views
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Taylor, welcome to the site 🙂 

I'd love if you'd copy and paste your reply into a 'new topic'. It will be useful for others, and we can talk about it there rather than here in the 'Intro's' post. Sound ok?

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@kevcon)

Electrical Appliances:

Hi All,

As I sort out what to take and what to give away before packing the 20 ft. container I hope to fill, I am curious about what electrical appliances I should/could take. Does anyone know what it would take to take, say, a printer, record player, etc and adapt them for use in Ireland? I know that a simple adaptor plug won't work but if there's a feasible way of doing it without rewiring the house I'd be interested.

Thanks

Kevin

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Kevin, have you read this post on the blog? Dealing with Electronics and relocation

A simple plug adapter will work for a lot of items - e.g  most computers, phones, cameras etc. The bigger stuff probably should be left behind, or else you'll need to have a heavy duty converter hooked up to everything. Check the electrical info on the device/appliance you're hoping to bring to see if it's rated for the Irish system.

ReplyQuote
(@bobbim)

Hi All,

My husband and I have just started researching moving from Oregon to Ireland.  I am a citizen because my father was born in Ireland and got my Irish passport this year.  Trying to sort out how taxes apply in Ireland and the US for expats.  If anyone has a referral to a tax accountant that's familiar with both countries, please forward it to me.  It would be most appreciated.   

ReplyQuote
 John
(@moisheman)

Hi Liam and everyone else. Hope I am posting this correctly as I have not posted anywhere for years. I moved to a Canada at age 6 in 1957 and have returned to retire in my beautiful homeland on March 8 2016 with my wife Ilona, who is a Canadian citizen. We moved with our 2 cats Max and Minky and now reside in Wexford.

John

ReplyQuote
(@dublin-since-2016)

US Embassy in Ireland lists "approved" tax preparers. We used Taxes for Expats--36 pages for our returns and we do not own a house, etc. Husband retired so gets pension and I have a US job so we will be dancing this dance...about $400 for filings/year 

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Apu, yep, that's about what I paid. Also used Taxes For Expats. It can be more (not much less) depending on circumstances (income, state etc). There are other 'preparers' in Ireland too. Some may not be listed by the embassy, but are capable/qualified to do the work.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Welcome John/moisheman

How's your move 'home' working out? We'd be delighted to hear what is good/bad if you want to start a topic or 2.

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@bobbim)

Apu, Thanks so much for the info.  Really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@bobbim)

Thanks Liam.  Appreciate the info and feedback.

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 32
Share: