Clear all

[Sticky] Introduce yourself here

316 Posts
154 Users
98 Likes
49.9 K Views
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Hi John.  The link Liam provides is a good place to start.  I used this as a template, but created my own to suit myself.

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

jaconaty01@gmail.com

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@moveclubadmin

Thanks, Liam.  I'll be sure to review the spreadsheet. Appreciate you sharing the link!

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@jaconaty1

Thanks, Jeanine. I'll reach out directly later in the day.  

ReplyQuote
(@mddbrady1)

John,

It looks like you’ll be making the move sooner than we will so I’m looking forward to following your journey. 

Galway City is our favorite place to stay every time we travel to Ireland, so we’ve contemplated moving to somewhere within that county, but I think we’re leaning now toward Cork or Wicklow.

Nonetheless, it’s exciting and now I hope to learn from your experience as you begin your planning.

Melissa

@countydonegal 

ReplyQuote
(@mddbrady1)

Thank you, Liam!

@moveclubadmin

ReplyQuote
(@mddbrady1)

Hi Jeanine,

Did you retire there as an American citizen and did you buy a house right away or did you decide to rent? 

We are wondering if we should buy a home there first, use it for vacations, then move in when I retire within the next 4 years or just rent for a while and wait on purchasing something.

Thoughts?

Thank you, 

Melissa

@jaconaty1

ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

Hello Melissa,

I retired here as an American citizen under the Stamp 0 permission to remain scheme.

I am renting currently.  I would recommend you do some research on the options to purchase, timing of your purchase, moving/converting funds, etc.  Perhaps Liam can offer guidance, but I might guess an accountant here could offer guidance.

@mddbrady1

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Melissa, keep in mind Stamp 0 is not intended as a long term residence visa. Just because you may own a home in Ireland doesn't mean you can stay past the visa date. Who knows how that'll change as time passes. I'd consider that before purchasing. 

You can't go wrong with Cork (my hometown 🙂 ) So many great spots though. It just depends on what you're after. I can definitely help with some of the things Jeanine mentions, and if you want me to put you in touch with my currency transfer contact, send me a message here

ReplyQuote
(@megmegu)

Hello!

My name is Meg. Myself, my husband Shannon and our daughter Keira, will be moving to Ireland in the summer of 2023 (yes - a very long way off). We like to plan out details well in advance. We are Canadian and live in Lucan, Ontario (a very small town).

A little bit about us. I lived in Ireland in 2007 to 2008 with the SWAP program. I started out in Galway for 2 months before moving to Tallaght, just outside of Dublin before returning home. 

My husband, Shannon, is a dual citizen. His father was Irish and born in Dublin. He has never visited the country before. 

We also have a seven year old daughter who is very excited for her overseas adventure.

We are still researching where we'd like to settle. I think likely in Dublin as I currently work for a university and would like to continue that when we arrive. My husband works in mental health and will be looking for work in that field.

Looking forward to connecting and learning all that we can before we arrive.

Liam and Liam reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 28 / 32
Share: