Clear all

Looking for craic

6 Posts
2 Users
4 Likes
(@timhickey)
Topic starter  

Hello!

My wife and I are US citizens in Seattle and have an 8 month old baby girl, Molly.

I am a registered foreign birth (grandparents) dual citizen and sent in the papers for Molly a couple months back when they reopened the office.  

Wanted to move to Ireland for a while and give Molly some world citizenship time growing up.  Both my wife Lissa and I are avid travellers and would love for Molly to grow up with weekends in Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, etc. not to mention healthcare, college, etc.

Anyway, casually looking on LinkedIn and networking to find a job (I am in tech and startups, the wife is an architect) and have flights booked for April to drive around and find a good place to live - thinking Dublin, Cork or Galway currently - hopefully the virus takes one on the nose by then.

As I understand it, the wife needs to register and spend 3 years there somehow managing to stay married to me and then she can be granted citizenship, etc. - wondering about healthcare in the interim for her - do we need to buy private health insurance for her until she gets citizenship if we live there? Also, can she work while in limbo?

Look forward to "meeting" you all!

Thanks,

Tim

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hey Tim!

Welcome to the community. Glad to have yourself and the family onboard. Hopefully you'll find some of that craic here 🙂 

That's cool you've been able to pass on citizenship to your daughter through her great grand parents. You had to have been a citizen before she was born for her to qualify, correct?

Ireland certainly is an attractive option for raising kids. The education is great, and quality of life for families is generally very good. Sounds like Molly is also in for a jet setting lifestyle 🙂 lucky her. 

As you probably already know, Dublin is a major tech hub. Cork isn't too bad either though. Qualcomm, Apple, Amazon, McAfee, VM Ware. They're all there. Glassdoor has a pretty good list https://www.glassdoor.com/Explore/top-companies-cork_IL.14,18_IM3078.htm

Lifestyle can be very different depending on where you settle. Will finding a job dictate that decision?

By the sounds of things, your wife would be looking for Stamp 4 immigration. She would be allowed to work immediately once that's received. Usually it does not take very long to get that, but I can't say how Covid is gonna mess with that over the coming months. The INIS is claiming it takes 12 months, but others on here have indicated a much shorter time frame. Yes, medical insurance would be required (see here) until approved at least, and no, unfortunately she would not be allowed to work (clarified also at that last link). 

Great to meet you all! I hope to hear more as the move starts to take shape. 

Liam 

ReplyQuote
(@timhickey)
Topic starter  

Thanks Liam!

Yes, luckily I got the citizenship a couple years ago, so Molly is grandfathered in, so to speak.  🙂 

We're thinking about adding one more to the family once we get over there, from what I have read it looks like a good place to have a baby?

I am thinking more of finding a cool spot to live and then worrying about the job as I am fortunate enough to have worked in tech over here is Seattle for a few years and have some saved up.  Have been reading up on different areas, but curious to know what this forum thinks - would like to live in an area with walking, hiking, access to good local produce and meats and some great restaurants, coffee and international food shops?

I figure I'm probably looking at one of the big three cities for those reasons, but if there is an outskirt to look at, would love to hear about it.

Also, curious as to how soon you have to get an Irish driver's license? Like I can drive on my US one in a rental car, right? Are there still car shares in Dublin? Anywhere else?

Thanks much and happy to be here, if anybody wants to know anything about Seattle, feel free to ask away!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I'd be biased, and tell you Cork (hometown) is the best spot to live. I'm sure you'd get many opinions on this though if you ask some locals. Honestly, there's so much outdoor activity no matter where you settle down. None of the cities are so big that it takes an age to get out to a remote spot for hiking, nature etc. And in Ireland, you're rarely far from a beach, river etc, to enjoy that aspect of life. 

There are plenty of websites to point you in the right direction for hiking. One's your familiar with in the US have Irish recommendations too e.g. https://www.alltrails.com/

There's great little towns a few miles outside most big areas. For example, Middleton in Cork (Jameson's home 🙂 ) is a good little commuter town. Same up near Dublin. Lot's of smaller areas, that still have the small town feel, but are close enough to everything you need with regard to amenities. 

For local produce - many farmers sell their harvest right from their front door. Due to the lockdown, my mom got turned around by the Gardai the other day for trying to get to her favorite farm for some vegetables. 5km is the rule, and they were not letting her break it. 

Aside from that, and probably easier, there's plenty of weekly farmers markets. You won't have to go too far to find one. Here's some ideas https://www.thetaste.ie/best-food-and-farmers-markets-ireland/

Have you been to the English Market in Cork city? It's very well known outside of Cork too. Great place to get veg, fruit, meat, flowers, etc. Definitely worth visiting, even as a tourist. https://www.corkcity.ie/en/english-market/

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I forgot to comment on the driver's license.

You probably already know about the license exchange fiasco, right? Basically, you are treated as a new driver. People from some countries can exchange their license for an Irish one, but not US license holders. You have to sit the test, AND take driving lessons. I have some info here https://irelandmoveclub.com/category/driving-in-ireland/ It's a little old, but mostly (if not all) still correct.

You can drive for up to one year on your US license. Definitely get on the Irish license Asap. It can take a while to get an appnt, and the failure rate for the test is quite high, so a re-do is often required. Like everything else right now, Covid is probably playing havoc on this type of thing. Being a Seattle resident, any chance you can get a license over the border? B.C. Canada is one of the eligible licenses for a straight up exchange. 

ReplyQuote
(@timhickey)
Topic starter  

Thanks again, Liam! 

Great info, I have been to the English Market and loved it.  My Grandfather came over from the Cullen/Millstreet area back in the 1920s, so the area suits me pretty well.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: