Buying a Car in Ireland  

RSS

Scott Shanahan
(@iwas24once)
08/01/2018 1:54 pm  

I'm moving to Galway TOMORROW!!!! and am looking at purchasing a vehicle. Any recommendations regarding going through a dealer or private sale? If dealer, any recommendations on a particular dealer? Any particular websites that you recommend? Also, is there anything weird about buying a car in Ireland, that would be different than the US? Really any advice anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks!  

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
09/01/2018 5:47 am  

Hey Scott, How did your move go? I hope you arrived safely.

You'll find that the car buying process is pretty similar to what you'd expect in the US. For used cars, you'll find options online, in newspapers, parked up at the side of the road, etc. The usual price haggling can be expected, and like anywhere else, it's probably best to have it inspected. 

Same with dealer purchase - very similar to what  you've experienced in America. I can't recommend any places in Galway to you, but I'd definitely advise to look all over Ireland for the car/price that you want. A quick train ride over to Dublin, or down to Cork, might be worth it for the right deal.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes. 

Check out my brand new Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

**Filing US Taxes from abroad? Info & discount here**

ReplyQuote
Cheryl Hazenberg
(@chazenberg)
16/01/2018 10:53 am  

Hello,

I used the website www.carsireland.ie it's a great way to see what's out there, lots of dealers use it, I found my car last month on it.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Scott Shanahan
(@iwas24once)
23/01/2018 5:14 pm  

Hi Liam, thanks for your reply and advice. Our move went well, but as you have seen from my wife, Rebecca, we are having an immigration issue. Because of that we've put purchasing a car on hold for now. I do like living in a country where you can by a car from anywhere in the country pretty easily. 

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
27/01/2018 5:52 am  

Hey Scott - wishing you the best with those issues. I'm sure it's stressful. Let us know how things work out.

Check out my brand new Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

**Filing US Taxes from abroad? Info & discount here**

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register