Got my Full Irish Driving license today. What I learned.
- If you're moving to Ireland from the States, get started on your Irish driving license right away. It can take 9 months to a year, no less than 6 months, and you won't be able to renew your insurance when your US license expires after a year.
- You will be able to renew your car insurance if you only have a Learner license.
- The entire process will cost nearly €1000
- Passing the test was much, much harder than passing the test in California when I was a teen. In California, you basically need to know how to operate a car. In Ireland, to pass, you actually have to be a good driver.
- I had to get a public services card, but half-way through the year, someone sued, and maybe you don't need it. Regardless, everything was much smoother once I had it. All you need is a utility bill and your passport.
- Despite all that, getting the license ended up being an experience that taught me much about Ireland and Irish culture. I wrote about it on my blog. Highly recommend going through all of it. Even though it kicked my ass.
Congrats, Linda! And thank you for the update. I enjoyed reading through your blog post. Your descriptions of what might cause a failed test are extremely useful.
Check out my extremely useful Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!
@userid mention someone if you'd like to get their attention.