Got my Full Irish Driving license today. What I learned.  

RSS

lindarosewood
(@lindarosewood)
28/11/2018 2:22 pm  
  1. If you're moving to Ireland from the States, get started on your Irish driving license right away. It can take 9 months to a year, no less than 6 months, and you won't be able to renew your insurance when your US license expires after a year. 
  2. You will be able to renew your car insurance if you only have a Learner license. 
  3. The entire process will cost nearly €1000
  4. Passing the test was much, much harder than passing the test in California when I was a teen. In California, you basically need to know how to operate a car. In Ireland, to pass, you actually have to be a good driver. 
  5. I had to get a public services card, but half-way through the year, someone sued, and maybe you don't need it. Regardless, everything was much smoother once I had it. All you need is a utility bill and your passport. 
  6. Despite all that, getting the license ended up being an experience that taught me much about Ireland and Irish culture. I wrote about it on my blog. Highly recommend going through all of it. Even though it kicked my ass. 

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
30/11/2018 9:50 pm  

Congrats, Linda! And thank you for the update. I enjoyed reading through your blog post. Your descriptions of what might cause a failed test are extremely useful. 

Check out my extremely useful Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

@userid mention someone if you'd like to get their attention.

ReplyQuote
Share: