Clear all

If it exists, what is the equivalent...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I realize this could be a thread in any area, but I am asking specifically about equivalents to U-Haul/Ryder or similar moving truck rentals.

What are the equivalents? What do they run price wise?

I was doing a periodic update to my moving plans and realized that I could save as much has $1000 US on shipping cost if I was willing to drive to Los Angeles to load a 20 foot shipping container, and possible $500 if I was willing to drive to Dublin at the other end. I would also have more time to load/unload the container (4-6 hours vs 1 hour at each end). Balanced with having to shift the load twice as much. Once onto moving truck from there to shipping container. From shipping container to lorry, and from lorry to residence.

(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

For Dublin have a look at "National" they do a range of vans, but you need the equivalent of Class 2 for what they call a Mini Mover http://www.nationaltruckrental.com/

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I've seen similar options in Cork. National, Enterprise and Hertz all rent out some sort of truck. But I'm not sure if any of them offer a box-type truck like a uHaul (e.g uhaul truck). Most of what I've seen are what Irish people call vans (e.g. The Jumbo Mercedes Sprinter Van).
However, there are some options for box trucks. For example vanrentals.ie have some for rent that you can use a regular car license for e.g. http://www.vanrentals.ie/light_truck_tail_lift.html. You might want to call ahead to see if they'll accept a US license.

You're certainly right that you could save a lot by dropping the shipment off and picking it up. I explored all options too, and ended up going with door to port service. The pickup location in Ireland was local so I didn't need to worry too much about the cost of returning the truck (petrol, time, mileage, insurance etc). You might want to weigh that up before you decide. Your quote might be 500 cheaper, but you might spend close to that and have a lot more work to do to pick up your things and return the truck. The difference could be worth paying. You might end up giving it to a chiropractor otherwise 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: