Clear all

Short term car lease?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@harpchic42)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm expecting to be in Ireland for about 3 months and I do want the flexibility of being able to drive around, even if I am located in a city or town. Does anyone know of a dealership or company that does a short-term car lease? I looked at Enterprise Rent-A-Car and they wanted over €700 per month. I was hoping to find something cheaper. 

Unfortunately, the places I'm looking at living don't have a Go-Car service nearby.

Any ideas?

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Tanya,

I personally can't give you a recommendation as I've never leased a car for that long. Based on normal rental costs, the number you said above seems ok to me, but I know it's a lot of money. Does that include insurance? I'm guessing if it does, it's basic, and not full coverage. Insurance in Ireland on rentals is not cheap!

I hear good things about dan dooley rental. No affiliation, just positive reviews etc. They do have a long term rental inquiry form if you're interested. 

Maybe renting on an as-needed basis might be a better option, e.g. if you're looking to get out sightseeing for a weekend here and there. Depending on where you are, public transport might suit most your needs.

ReplyQuote
(@harpchic42)
Topic starter  

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the response.

Dooley Car Rental was the one that referred me to Enterprise. Unfortunately, I don't know if the rental came with insurance, the quote didn't say and I appear to have deleted it.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going to be yet. I hope there will be a short-term rental option available nearby. We'll see.

Cheers,
Tanya

ReplyQuote
(@harpchic42)
Topic starter  

FYI, I can strongly recommend GoRentals.ie for a short term car lease. I've been driving a car from them for the last 2 months and it's been great! It's not cheap, but it's been easier than trying to buy a car and get insurance.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Thanks for the tip Tanya @harpchic42 

I checked out the site. Certainly pricey. 395euro + VAT for a small car, based on a 36 month term. If the rate of VAT is 21%, that's 17K+! 

It doesn't say it includes insurance - so is that extra aswell? 

ReplyQuote
(@harpchic42)
Topic starter  

The lease I am on does include insurance, which is part of the reason I went with this option to start. I am having a terrible time finding a company that will sell me insurance on a small, older car. 

All of this is made more difficult by the fact that I’m not sure how long i’m staying. I’m going to visit my sister in the UK for a month, then hopefully coming back to West Cork for another 3 months. After that, who knows? Probably back to the States.

This post was modified 6 years ago by Tanya Brody

ReplyQuote
(@lindarosewood)
Eminent Member

I bought a car before I moved to Ireland, and I wasn't sure how long I would be allowed to stay. I bought insurance from Allianz. I paid by the month, and they would have cancelled it. 

You can't get insurance on a car older than ten years. You may be able to buy from a dealer who would buy the car back from you if you don't stay. 

I bought a car from this guy.sales@japaneseimports.ie . When we weren't sure if our visa was renewed, he said he would buy it back from me. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share: