Clear all

Steps to get a license

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Summarizing the information from this blog post, and opening discussion of it - http://irelandmoveclub.com/explained-us-driver-licence-holders-pass-irish-driving-test/

If I understand correctly, these are the steps to get a driver's license:
- Drive on my existing US license (or should I get an International Driving Permit?)
- Get a Learner's permit in Ireland
- During the first year take 12 lessons
- Take the driving test

If I go the route of an international driving permit, my understanding is I could drive until it expires, but insurance would be higher.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

David,

- Yes you can drive on your US license (for up to a year). The only time I ever needed to get an International Driving Permit was when I borrowed my brothers car for 2 weeks while visiting. He added me to his insurance, and they insisted on the IDP. When I was insured by myself on my own car in Ireland, a US license did fine. But if you'd prefer not to take a chance, you can pick up an IDP for approx $15. Be sure to get a statement of driving history from your insurance company before you leave for Ireland. I got mine while in Ireland, but it was a bit of a pain. A recent history of 5 years of no claims is looked upon very favourably in Ireland.

- The learners permit requires you take a theory test.

- I did some research on the lessons recently, and it seems to be a very competitive market. Be sure to shop around for discounts/specials.

re your last point: I don't know if that's true. When I needed an IDP it was in addition to my CA license. I don't think you can drive with just the permit alone. Did you hear this from a reliable source?

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My understanding is like an internationally recognized notary of your existing license, and the IDP is only valid with the license.

In the US IDP's are issues through AAA offices, and expiration date is set to the same as your current driver's license. I am holding off on getting an IDP until I renew my California Driver's License again because it expires in early 2016 currently.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

More good news announced for those of you moving from Canada to Ireland. Deals have been struck for driver license exchanges for Newfoundland and Labrador.
This makes moving home, or emigrating to Ireland, so much easier. For many others, including anybody licensed in the entire United States, the hoops you will need to jump through to get an Irish drivers license are really punitive.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/new-deal-reached-on-irish-driving-licences-in-canada-1.2502272

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

So can a US license holder feasibly pop up to Canada and exchange their licence for a Canadian one?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Interesting question, Tony. I remember thinking about doing the same with another EU country. I can't remember which one, but some do allow US license exchanges. They also allow Irish exchanges. So the example would be go from US license to EU Country license to Irish license. There was a reason it wouldn't work, or at least wouldn't work for some time. I think it was down to residency in the other EU country. I'll dig in to it again, and see if I can remember why.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So in Canada each providence has their own rules. Labrador was mentioned. The information is here:
http://www.servicenl.gov.nl.ca/drivers/DriversandVehicles/driverlicensing/application.html#12

The key is you have to take up residency in Labrador. Then a US driver's license can be exchanged without written or behind the wheel test in Canada.

ReplyQuote
 Cfin
(@cfinegan)

I found a loophole in Ontario where you can exchange a US license for an Ontario license without proving residence in Ontario. If one was to then return to Ireland with the Ontario license, I am trying to ascertain whether it could then be swapped for an Irish one. One guy at the RSA said no when I asked, because it would have originally been from the US, but when I asked him how they would no, he had no answer.

ReplyQuote
 Cfin
(@cfinegan)

Hi Tony, see my reply regarding Ontario below.

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

Part 3 of the application form https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf
"Has the licence you are exchanging for an Irish licence been obtained on foot of an exchange of another licence from another country? "

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: