Liam
 Liam
Reputable Member Admin
10/02/2016 12:11 am  

Loophole closed!

ReplyQuote
Jenna Flanagan
11/07/2017 6:06 pm  

To make sure I understand this process...(I've been reading the NDLS website, but still not quite clear):

1.  I am allowed to drive in Ireland on my US license for 1 year (I will also get an international drivers permit just in case)

2.  I have to take the driver theory test before I can apply for the learner's permit

3.  After I have my learner's permit, I must take 12 driving lessons from an approved instructor before I can schedule the drivers test

When driving with a learner's permit, do I have to display the "L" plate?  Am I restricted as to where/when/with whom I can drive (i.e. no motorways, must be accompanied by a fully licensed driver?).  Also I will be living on the border, so are there any restrictions for learner's permit holders that I need to know about when I drive into Northern Ireland?

Many thanks!

Jenna

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
Reputable Member Admin
13/07/2017 9:19 pm  

Jenna,

Yes the 'L' plate is required. Then there's the new 'N' plate (novice), but I'm unsure if you'll need that one. I'm sure the NDLS site explains.

Yes you are restricted, primarily from any motorways.

I'm not sure about the border area. As you'll technically be driving on a foreign license, I don't think that should be a problem, however from an insurance perspective it may be. The insurer should be able to answer. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev

Working

Please Login or Register