Notifications
Clear all

Customs & Inspections Issues

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@susan_l)
Topic starter  

So, my Dad hand-carved a fireplace mantel that sat above the house that I grew up in for decades.  After he passed, my Mom sold the house but I asked her to exclude the mantel from the sale and asked to have it.  Thus, I now have the mantel in my POD waiting for shipping to my place in Ireland (along with my other household goods), which I think would make him quite happy.  However, after reading about pallets and the special heat-treated, stamped wood that needs to be used in making them for international shipping, I now have this nightmare playing in my head that my Dad's mantel will get rejected entry because it is effectively a giant hunk of wood, or cause other clearance issues.  Could it not be a problem because it is ancient, and was effectively heated over several years sitting over the fireplace?  Should I be concerned about this or not ? 

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Sounds like a very special case, Susan. I'd recommend contacting Irish customs and seeing how best to handle this one.

ReplyQuote
(@susan_l)
Topic starter  

Thanks Liam; sounds like good advice.  In the meanwhile, I did pose the question to rep at Schumacher who does not anticipate a problem since it is likely more in the nature of an antique or a piece of furniture.  But, an email to customs couldn't hurt to double-check. 

ReplyQuote
Share: