Notifications
Clear all

Shipping a Few Boxes

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@teaandtoast29)
Topic starter  

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone's had any experience shipping one or two boxes from the US to Ireland? If so, what carrier would you recommend? I am planning on taking clothes and shipping a limited amount of belongings (sentimental gifts, rare books/comic books, things that would be very costly to replace, etc). 

There seems to be quite a lot of options and some seem more like they would be more inclined to ship items such as furniture. 

Additionally, is there anything, customs or duty tax wise that would be helpful to know? 

Thanks! 

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Ashley - great question! I have moved boxes to and from the US via regular mail. It wasn't a hassle free experience, but mainly due to the number of boxes I sent (~30). You'll have a very restrictive box dimension criteria to work with, and the weight is also a big consideration too.

One of other forum members here was gracious enough to post about this a while back. I'd suggest reading what she had to say:

https://irelandmoveclub.com/community/international-shipping/us-postal-service-to-ireland-worked-well-may-2016/

ReplyQuote
(@teaandtoast29)
Topic starter  

Hi Liam,

Thank you for the information! I've only ever used USPS to mail letters to Ireland, so it's good to know that it's been successful for more than that. 

I will take a look at the post you referenced and I also found a post you made about customs clearance as I am attempting to send this prior to my arrival:

https://irelandmoveclub.com/customs-clearance-ireland-shipped-personal-effects/

I am going to attempt to fill out the C&E 1076 form and see if it works as the majority of the contents are books and sentimental items. 

Thanks again! 

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Yeah, you should have no probs with sending personal items like that. In your case the customs forms should just be a formality. 

ReplyQuote
Share: