Clear all

Shipping - what to keep, toss, buy new?

9 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

As my family and I are preparing for our move, we are looking at what we have and trying to decide what to keep, toss, or buy new. We are planning on moving to Ireland with no return date in mind - knowing that if it doesn't work out we can always move back (which we are fairly confident we will love it and stay). After looking at the international shipping costs and the time it takes to receive everything, we are thinking of just selling/donating everything aside from clothes, some books, some toys, and a few family heirlooms which can be packed in a suitcase.

To us, it just makes more sense for us to buy new/used when we get there. Aside from our laptop, we would just buy our electronics new. Household furniture and supplies buy in Ireland.

Has anyone else gone with a similar attitude, or was it best to actually ship everything over? It just seems like with the cost to ship everything over, it may be possible to use that money to buy things there?

(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

I am assuming you are going US to Ireland.

Luggage allowance on Cunard going transatlantic are much more generous than airlines. Prices are similar. However it leaves transportation from Southampton, UK to Ireland to be addressed. My father's family moved from the UK to the US via Cunard in 1955. When I asked what the luggage allowance was I was told - whatever you can fit in your stateroom. When my father made the journey each family member had a large steamer trunk that could be stood on end and used as a wardrobe.

Electronics - while the prices are higher in general in Ireland, you have to balance that with the cost of adapters/inverters. Most outlets are 220v in Ireland. Unless you want Many electronics will switch between them with a toggle of a switch and changing the cable. Some will do so just changing the cable. For example my son's computer tower has a switch on the power supply. Then replace the power cable. My TV auto switches. I would need to change the cable.

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi David,

Yes, US to Ireland. Since we are planning on being in Ireland indefinitely, I would prefer not to deal with adapters. I was able to find some multisystem TVs on Amazon which seemed relatively affordable, compared to US prices, and they are able to ship to Ireland so that's good.

ReplyQuote
(@dorzak)
Estimable Member

If you buy from a US seller who doesn't collect VAT you need to pay VAT when it comes through customs. More devices support it than usually list it as a feature. Dig out the manual (or look it up online) for your existing electronics. Most laptops you can buy either a new cable that goes from the wall to the transformer. Some you have to replace that transformer.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Kate,

Based on my own experience from previous moves I would tell you to buy most things new or used in Ireland. Besides the cost of shipping, which you know is quite high, you will end up re-buying a lot of household goods that you just can't do without for up to four or five months, while you wait for your shipment to arrive.

If you were planning on buying any small electronics, cameras, iPods etc., you might want to pick those up in America before you leave. They are quite expensive in comparison in Ireland, and usually the USB, or the regular charger, will work just fine (possibly with an adapter).
I don't think you should bring anything big, TVs, refrigerators etc.

My approach was to cut down on everything...toys, clothes, etc...anything we rarely used, or that we would need to re-buy on arrival. It's liberating to detach yourself from all the junk you accumulate over the years 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Liam,

Good to know on the small electronics! Definitely do not want to deal with shipping a TV, fridge, or anything of that sort - especially since it may not even fit in whichever house we end up in.

We are looking forward to getting rid of most of our stuff! I agree it will be very liberating! 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@rubenmircea)

Hi Guys,

I was wondering regarding the "Transfer of residence".
If for example we have 2 cars to import, will it be a problem at customs, regarding the tax relief ? I mean one car is mine and one is my wife's do we submit 2x 1076 ?
Furthermore if you have 2 x 1076 and we are 3 persons for the list of things do we have to make 3 lists or just one big list with belongings.

Another thing is regarding the evaluation of you personal belongings. I mean how do you do it, you can put a value on things thinking how much you would get if you sell them but that is different to the actual value. Will they only consider the value you assign to things or they have other means to determine the value.
What value did you guys have and got away without paying tax at a different than 2.5 rate, is it 3 x 700 euro the max value that we should consider for 2.5 tax rate ?

Thank you for your time and answers I am trying to get my head above the water, we are thinking to move from Australia.

Regards,

Ruben

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Ruben, and welcome to the site 🙂 @rubenmircea

For specific questions related to 1076 I'd recommend contacting the revenue department and reading the information at the following url
http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1875.html

Regarding the list of items you'd be bringing, in my case I had to provide just one TOR for a family of 5, and was told to put a very high level description of my items on the form.
With regard to the valuation of items, the shipping company told me to put the expected amount I would get for an item if I were to sell it. Example, if you bought a TV for $500 a year ago, that TV is no longer worth $500.

I'm unsure what you mean about the "2.5 rate". Can you explain?

Cheers,
Liam

ReplyQuote
(@rubenmircea)

Hi Liam,

Thank you for your help.
About the rate I will paste below from PN 1878a

"Standard (Flat) Rate of Customs Duty

Customs Duty is charged at a standard rate of 2.5% on goods of a non-commercial nature provided that the value of goods subject to such duty does not exceed €700 per traveller. In determining if the total value exceeds €700, the monetary allowance of €430/€215, if applicable, and the value of goods not subject to Customs Duty are taken into account."

So in our case the max value at which we will get taxed at 2.5 % is 2100 euros I presume.

But again how much I would think or hope to get for a thing is not really what you would get if you try to sell it and I will have to leave country in lets say one week.
The main idea is that they do not have any other means of evaluating your belongings.

Thank you.
Ruben

ReplyQuote
Share: