Clear all

Gaeltacht

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wow, I've not visited the forums in a while. I think my first Irish winter has basically had me in a state of hibernation for the last few months haha!

But I have been meaning to ask... is anyone here familiar with Gaeltacht? My year five student is due to take a week long field trip to Donegal this summer, as required by her school to satisfy her Irish language requirement (she attends a second language school, so the Irish is dialed down, and it would seem a week of compulsory Gaeltacht is part of the compromise).

I've not yet sent my kids to a camp of any sort and the notion of sending her to one in a country I'm still fairly new to is making me a bit nervous. But nearly every local I've encountered seems familiar with Gaeltacht, so is this customary? Thoughts? Advice? Experience?

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

When we were in school, at around age 15/16, it was very common for kids to go away to a Gaeltacht area for a couple of weeks or so. It was almost like a rite of passage. Although not required, it was very useful for topping up on language skills.
Your daughter is a bit younger than that, and I'd imagine not as likely to get up to the kinds of things most teens do. As with teen trip away from home for teenagers, there was a fair bit of messing around.

I can definitely understand your hesitation to send her away. I'd be the same. It's kind of an odd requirement to have in place for such young kids. Have you given much info by the school as regards, supervision, activities, free time etc?

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

There will an informational meeting soon and I intend to attend and ask my eleventeen million helicopter-mom questions haha! I'm sure it will go over well. But, I will say, I do trust her teacher, I've met with him a few times, as well as the German teacher who is chaperoning the girls, and I think they have very trustworthy adults involved. It's really the fact that she's 11 that worries me most. It seems rather young, as you've said. And their school doesn't even introduce Irish language until year five, so seems soon to embark on Gaeltacht at the end of their first year of Irish.

All that being said, I have no idea what Gaeltacht even is. If it's structured, what are the activities involved, and is there free time (as you mentioned)... These are all questions I'll ask at the meeting, all I know thus far is we were given an application and deadline to complete paperwork and pay the fee, all within our first chaotic month here. As you know, things were so out of control, Gaeltacht was the least of my worries then haha!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I guess it's one of those cultural differences, right? I think Irish people in general wouldn't bat an eyelid at sending their kid off. My brother and I have kids the same age. He is far more adventurous in terms of what his kids are allowed to do. I guess my US experiences have shaped how I am with my kids.

I don't think I actually defined what the Gaeltacht is for you. The Gaeltacht areas are typically found along the west coast of Ireland, and in Cork too. There areas that have a significant proportion of Irish-speaking people. Essentially native speakers. What your child would experience, is not just the school activities, but the idea of being immersed in a society where Irish is spoken in day-to-day life too.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaeltacht

ReplyQuote
(@bernieleddy70)

I have a really stupid question! im looking at the west coast as a possible home.

all the areas we found and like are in Gaeltacht areas.

We spoke to an estate agent who told us not worry as english was spoken as well.

I'm from Ireland and studied Gaelic in school (a lot forgotten, too much vino over the years), but my wife is English.

Im hoping to return and learn Irish, but my fear is being left out of  local society, irrational i know.

Has anybody else moved to a Gaeltacht? and if you have, any advise please?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Bernard

You will probably find yourself left out of some conversations, but as a whole this will not be a problem 

ReplyQuote
(@bernieleddy70)

Thanks Liam

ReplyQuote
Share: