Clear all

Health care

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@seph)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that, after a lot of searching, we've finally secured a flat in Tralee. Included in our "things to do" list, once we're moved in, is finding out about healthcare.

I'm a UK/CAN citizen (as is my son), but my wife is only Canadian. I imagine that, once I find employment and start exersising my treaty rights, my wife can then apply for a residence card, and then a medical card, and then she will be covered by the Irish healthcare system. Am I correct?

I will also have to obtain a medical card, from what I understand. As will our son. Where do you suggest we start with this process? Doctor's office? Hospital? Somewhere else completely? Thanks.

(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

Medical Cards are based on Income so to obtain one you basically need to be on low income. The normal form of Medical cover is via Health Insurance. That said there is no harm in applying.
See:
http://www.hse.ie/portal/eng/services/list/1/schemes/mc/about/howtoapply/

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

For healthcare entitlements check out the link below. Being entitled to health care, and the being eligible for an irish medical card are very different things.

"Entitlement to health services is primarily based on residency and means, rather than on your payment of tax or pay-related social insurance (PRSI). Any person, regardless of nationality, who is accepted by the Health Service Executive (HSE) as being ordinarily resident in Ireland has eligibility to health services. You are ordinarily resident if you are living in Ireland and have lived here, or intend to live here, for at least one year."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/entitlement_to_health_services/entitlement_to_public_health_services.html

ReplyQuote
Share: