Clear all

Permission to Remain in Ireland as the spouse of an Irish National

142 Posts
43 Users
14 Likes
47.1 K Views
 KGee
(@kgee25)

Thank you for your quick replies to my query. Finally some real people with real answers.

We currently live in Dublin and he is doing an English language course. He can step up to do a degree course after this but does anyone have any experience of that? Is there any grants or help funding the course as we are not the most rich people at 25 haha.

Also, as he will have completed his 3 language courses (totally his 24 months) can he do a Higher Cert course or Diploma with progression to degree level or must he be enrolled in a degree course? He also holds a degree from Brazil in Social Communication if this will help in any way!

Isn't it crazy how the State can dictate who can love one another and for how long?
We are not looking for miracles, just a way to not be torn apart from each other due to a visa expiring. Any help is great and thank you all so much!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@kgee25 regarding grants - his best option maybe his home country. In our case, I know Ireland does provide some grants for overseas students. Maybe Brazil does something similar? I doubt he'd qualify for anything from Ireland as a non-resident/citizen.

ReplyQuote
(@ronnie29)

@Kgee25 im not sure if in this case its similar in Ireland,but I 100% know that there so many masters degree scholarship programmes offered to international students holding a degree from their country in European universities dont know if Ireland is doing the same. So I suggest u guys look at the option were he can do his masters degree with his social communication degree most masters degree scholarship programmes covers your tuition then accommodation will be the place you living together. Look into that good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@cvannest)

Hi, I am American and my husband lives and works in Ireland. We have been flying back and forth for a year and I'm finally making the move on March 1. My situation is most similar to Kate's and I understand the EU1 form I need to fill out and we will have all the documents ready within my first week there except for the utility bills. My question is did @katemreagan husband ever get the temp stamp 4? If so, how long did it take? I know there is the 6 month clause that you must already be living in Ireland and Kate said to go ahead and mail it in even though it may get rejected because of the 6 month rule. But I'm assuming you did this so you could go ahead and get your "receipt letter"from them so he could get his temp Stamp 4. Did this work? I'm assuming that you haven't gotten your husbands perm stamp 4 yet?

Hoping to get an update from Kate. Either way, I plan to post my process on here as I go along to help others.

ReplyQuote
(@ronnie29)

@Carrie what nationality is your husband.

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

Hi @Carrie, same question as Ronnie - what nationality is your husband? The EU1 form only applies to spouses/dependants of EU Nationals. Also, the turnaround time will defer depending on his nationality, from what our immigration officer told us. Basically, if he is a UK citisen, it will take longer as Irish Immigration is swamped with UK citizens applying for their Irish citizenship. Since I am an Italian/American the process was a lot quicker as there are not many Italians coming to Ireland at the moment.

You mentioned that you have been splitting your time between here and the US - I believe you will need to show that you have been in Oreland consistently before your application will be accepted. All in all, after we applied, Joe received his temp Stamp 4 3-4 weeks later - but we had every single document required and in the order requested. The Guard actually didnt stamp his passport with the temporary stamp because he knew the permanent one was well on its way based on the letter provided by the immigration bureau. Joe recieved his GNIB card 2 weeks later. It was very fast, considering we were told the process can take 6 months to a year. I will say that if you are dealing with the main office in Dublin, it will take considerably longer.

Let me know if you have further questions! Sorry I have been MIA from the board for the last few months...new baby, less sleep, moved houses and was without internet for over a month.

ReplyQuote
(@cvannest)

@katemreagan And Donnie, thank you both so much for your quick replies. He is Latvian and been living in Ireland for a year now.

We will be signing a new lease on March 1st with my name on it which is also the same day I am flying there to move permanently. We will have all documents in place fairly quickly I believe except for the utility bills. Do you think it is okay to go ahead and turn it in without waiting on utility bills?

We will be going to the Galway office not Dublin. But if you think we should go to a certain office location that may be better, let me know.

That is great and so relieving to hear the process may be quicker than it sounds.

It sounds like you didn't have to wait the initial 6 months? Or did he receive it 4wks after the 6 month waiting period. Trying to figure just how fast I should try to turn my paperwork in as well.

And congratulations on the baby!!! I didn't realize you a had child as well. And did the big move! That's great.

Thank you all again! This has been the best forum I've found with real answers.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experience as well with others.

ReplyQuote
(@cvannest)

@ronnie29 Sorry I meant to mention your name in the above and spelled in wrong. Thank you

ReplyQuote
(@cvannest)

Just to be more clear he lives, works and goes to school in Ireland the past year. I had to wait cause of my job and needed to save money since I knew I wouldn't be working for a while.

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

@cvannest thank you for the well wishes! I have 3 boys, we made the move when I was 6 months pregnant haha!

I would wait until you have the utility bills, which at the most should be 2 months as most bills are bimonthly or quarterly. Joe applied 2 months after we arrived. It was around the end of June and then he received his temporary stamp 4 letter at the end of July, receiving his GNIB card the middle of August.

Unfortunately, you do not have a choice on your immigration office. If you will be living in Galway city, you will have to go to the Galway Guarda Station and meet with immigration officer there. Also, when you go through immigration at the airport, let the officer know your intentions of moving and he will give you a pink card about contacting your local immigration officer. Be aware that the immigration officers typically have the worst hours possible and your husband will need to accompany you when you meet with the officer.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 15
Share: