Should I become a US citizen before I move back to Ireland, renew Greencard or let it lapse?  

RSS

Ingrid
26/07/2017 8:51 pm  

Hi folks
I'm new to this forum and thrilled to have found it. I am married to a US citizen and we live in the US with our 2 US born children. I've had a Greencard for 11 years and its due to expire in 2019.  We are planning to move home to Ireland this time next year.  Before we do, I am considering becoming a US citizen so that if we should ever think about returning to live here in the US - say to retire or things dont work out  - we have that option without having to go through the hoops of Greencard application again - that and who knows what way the administration could change things for non -citizens.  But I'm wondering what the implications of that are - taxation specifically.  My husband will always want to keep his US passport so does that mean we'll have to file despite living in Ireland? Does that mean we'll get taxed on our income twice? We are not huge earners as of now but I'm afraid that if I apply for citizenship I might be screwing myself over regardless!  Can anyone help or point me in the direction of someone who can?

Sincere thanks - Ingrid

ReplyQuote
P Moloney
01/08/2017 1:28 am  

I'd like to see some answers on your US Citizenship question, but nothing yet?..

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
Reputable Member Admin
01/08/2017 9:10 pm  

Hi Ingrid,

When I moved back to Ireland from the US, I did have to continue to file US taxes (fed & CA) as a US green card holder. I don't know how that would have changed as years progressed, but I imagine at some point I would no longer be required to file (I have since moved back to the US). 

Your husband MUST continue to file regardless. All US citizens are obliged to. The issue of double taxation starts to apply at certain income levels. Most people will not be double-taxed, however  a tax accountant can best advise you on the details. There are plenty of options out there, but the service I used 2 years running, and am happy to refer people to, are Taxes For Expats. (that is an affiliate link, but if you'd rather go directly to their website, feel free to do so. However if you do go through that link, be sure to use code IMC50 for a $50 discount). Tax pro's, including Taxes for Expats, often have blogposts on this topic. 

The issue of applying for citizenship is quite personal though. I'm not sure how to advise you there. If you are unsure how your future will turn out back in Ireland, then of course having dual nationality is a huge bonus.

Welcome to the site 🙂

Liam 

ReplyQuote
Ingrid
01/08/2017 9:22 pm  

Thanks so much Liam

Yes it seems to be when you are in the Tax System here you're in whether you reside here or not.  My Greencard expires next year so I think I may as well apply for citizenship if we're going to have to continue to file for my husband anyways.  We may hop back across the Atlantic to retire - who knows? It's good to have options. Thanks for the referral - happy to go through your link.  This is the first of what I'm sure will be many questions!

Ingrid

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
Reputable Member Admin
01/08/2017 9:52 pm  

Yeah, at some point I'll probably spring for US citizenship too. I just never really get around to it. In your case I can see the attraction though. It takes a while, so if you're certain, then it's best to get moving on it. 

Happy to answer your questions as they come up. Sorry for the delay in this one though. Had family in town for a week, so I took a break form the site 🙂

ReplyQuote

David
Estimable Member
02/08/2017 7:15 pm  

If you ever plan on moving out of the US and cutting ties with the US (not retaining property, etc) then I would avoid getting US citizenship.   As long as you are a US citizen you are subject to US Income taxes regardless of country of residence/employment.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register