Where should first ...

Notifications
Clear all

Where should first time movers visit when they first come to Ireland?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

To get the forums off to a good start I thought it'd be a nice idea to ask people who have been to Ireland to contribute a few suggestions of places people should consider visiting when they first move here. I'm looking for names/descriptions of places anywhere in Ireland that would be good for a newcomer to know about, and might help them settle in their new home.
I'm going to keep it easy and just ask for 1 - 3 suggestions. Here are mine:

1. I'm going to go with a Cork theme as this is the city I am most familiar with. The first place I think everyone living in Cork should know of is Fitzgerald's Park, which runs along the River Lee near UCC. Whether you like a nice casual stroll, a great place for your kids to play, a nice place to read a book under a tree or a place to catch an occasional outdoor performance, Fitzgerald's park won't disappoint. There's also a coffee shop, museum, kids playground, historical monuments and more to enjoy.

Fitzgeralds Park Pond

2. The English Market in Cork city centre has gained significant fame in recent times after a visit from Queen Elizabeth a number of years ago. You'll find it hard to pass through there now without a trove of tourists wandering around snapping photos. However, I remember when "the Market" was simply a place to go to get some of the best fresh food in Cork. Thankfully that hasn't changed and I'm recommending it to anyone who moves here (or just visits) and want's to stock up their cupboards with some of the best fruit, vegatables, meat, fresh fish, exotic foods and more, available in Ireland.

3. The last place I'm recommending is for the practical items in life. Many people who move to Ireland from the States will be looking for familiar items to furnish their home with. Just across the road from one of Cork's most popular shopping malls (Mahon Point), is a miniature version of an American shopping mall. I was surprised to find 3 stores which are almost exactly clones of major US stores - namely Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, and The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Here you'll find them named as follows: B&Q, Homestore & more, and Bean & Leaf Coffee. When I stepped inside each, it was just like being back in the states.

Please add your own below. If you just have time to add the name of a place, and not a description, that'll do fine.

Cfin
(@cfinegan)

I'd suggest, if they were coming from the US particularly, in Dublin try to take a trip to somewhere like Blanchardstown to see what shopping is available, and stock up on necessities at the ever beloved Penny's. Americans seem to love Penny's and Dunnes.
Similarly in Cork, maybe Mahon point would be a good option. Culture shock is a big deal for alot of people and sometimes it's better to jump into what the new country can have to offer in an everyday way. If they regress to visiting things that remind them of home too much (for some) it may have a negative impact. A professor I worked with recently went to Ireland for a year. He said his kids loved Cork and kept visiting the city and the shops. He stayed at their rural rented home and wallowed about missing home. He said his kids had to drag him out after a few weeks and once he got out, he was fine. They went to the cinema and had some coffee. Within months he loved the place.

And visiting UCC in general is a great idea in cork. It's tranquil there with friendly people, so good point. I guess a very good point to make is, that newcomers may think it's very romantic and a great idea to get a remote house out in the sticks. This might not be a good idea if you experience culture shock, and you might end up feeling lonely. Don't isolate yourself, because we can all feel culture shock. If not handled right, it can ruin everything. People who do experience culture shock, should wait until after they get saturated with the new culture to start looking into American nostalgic style stuff.

If in Waterford, check out Doolins pub and the bookstore on the square. I love those two spots. Geoffs bar as well. It's a great place to chill out and get acquainted.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for the additions, Caolan. It's probably comforting for people coming from places where there are big shopping centres, that we have a decent enough selection of malls here too. Of course, in comparison with USA malls, ours must seems smaller, but they do have a bit of everything you need, and can be a decent place to visit just for a stroll around.

ReplyQuote
(@redhead)

i am new to the forum- but i am jumping in ! when we move to ireland- my daughter and i discussed what we wanted to do first- it goes as such- walk about our village, go to the butcher, get fresh bread, cheese shop, the post office, local pub, etc.... and introduce ourselves, next explore other local shops & servives, take the dogs for walks, go to the closest shore line, explore what surrounds us and our new home- i agree with cfin- moving anywhere new is a culture shock- the move to ireland will be a big one- and i for one, dont want to zip off and see all the tourists attractions , when i need my family to get comfy and feel at home at settled first. i agree with liam also- if we were to move to cork, settling in - in that area- i would make a b line to the market!!! i ahve watched shows bourdain and zimmerman, bobby flay, and each say it is a place not to be missed- imagine living there, and being able to go there all the time!! lucky liam!!!!!

ReplyQuote
 DFA
(@dfa2)

Having only visited twice and planning a move I truly enjoyed the PowersCourt waterfall, it was a great place to have a picnic and relax for the day.

We also loved the Glendalough village ruins another area we loved and will go back to.

Kinsale, with all the small village shops, forts, and bay tours is a great place.

We loved a lot of places in Ireland, but these seem to be some the best.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks for chiming in @redhead and @DFA2. Great additions to the discussion, and some wise advice too @redhead on getting acquainted to your new area. Moving to Ireland from the states is most certainly a culture shock!

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

A good point from Readhead.. The post office. especially if you move to rural Ireland. As yet we have no post codes so introducing yourself to your local postmaster will ensure you get your post most efficiently, especially if you know who lived there before. We have lived in the cottage for 10 years and it is still known by many as "the old Moran's place"

ReplyQuote
(@irishwinnie)

we are moving over from UK and would appreciate any info and advice on where to go and what to see with 2 teens and a younger child 🙂 also anyone know of any autism services for teens over there?

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

It's a big island and what to see where to go sort of depends on location. We came over from north west England just about 10 years ago.

http://www.autismireland.ie/ might be the port of call for Autistic info and you need to contact local Social Welfare in respect of Special Needs assistance for school and possible benefits.

ReplyQuote
Share: