Clear all

Flying with Cat NYC to Ireland.

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Dem See
(@demsee)
Topic starter  

Might fly in to Cork or Dublin not sure yet. I am wondering if anyone has flown NYC to Ireland with a carry on cat? Is this possible?

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I have flown from NYC and LA to Ireland with dogs. Dogs that would have otherwise fit under the seat. Unfortunately they have to go as checked baggage or cargo. 

I have never quite figured out if this is some sort of international air transport law, or just airline policy. But, I was never able to locate a carrier that would take them in the main cabin.

See Aer Lingus' policy on it here

https://www.pettravel.com/airline_pet_rules/aerlingus.cfm

If the process is still the same, it could be due to how they are picked up by a 3rd party in Dublin, and taken immediately to the vet facility to get checked out. You (or whoever is picking them up) will pick up your pet from there. 

ReplyQuote
(@kharu8)

I just flew over with a dog two weeks ago on Aer Lingus, and there were both cats and dogs on my flight. A cat should be easier since they will definitely fit under your seat. You need to notify whichever port you plan on flying into, the email is on the Department of Agriculture's site ( removed link

This website walks you through everything you need to do, but basically your pet needs to be microchipped, receive a rabies vaccination post-microchipped and at least three months prior to arrival, needs a signed and certified EU health certificate no more than 10 days prior to arrival, and finally a tapeworm vaccination no more than five days prior to arrival.

Upon arrival, you will meet with an official at a time previously set up by the Dept. of Agriculture who will deem whether your papers meet compliance paperwork. 

Of course, make sure you notify the airline as well.

If you have further questions, I'm sure I can answer them. I navigated this whole process without much guidance and I would have loved to have been able to speak with someone who had been through the process recently.

ReplyQuote
Dem See
(@demsee)
Topic starter  

@kharu8 Hi thanks for you comment. Do mean there were animals in the cabin on Aer Lingus from the US? I have called any they said the only way to bring and animal into ireland is by checking them in in the hold.

ReplyQuote
(@gwalt)

What is the latest?  Are any airlines allowing small dogs in cabin from USA to Ireland?  In cargo?

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@kharu8)

@demsee Yes there were. However perhaps they were all registered as ESA's? Perhaps they aren't allowing animals unless it's through a loop hole like that. If so, then they would have to fly them in the cargo which I believe they said only goes once a week. I haven't checked in with the other airlines recently though to see if they have restarted flying animals. Hopefully as the pandemic winds down, we can get back to things as normal. I think there were a couple other airlines flying animals though in the thick of the pandemic when I came, so hopefully a few more are flying them.

ReplyQuote
(@jkellysf)

Good morning, not sure about ESA category but all animals flying into and out of Ireland need to go in cargo, the specific airline doesn’t matter.  

ReplyQuote
(@pegan875)

Hello!

This is an important thread. I cringe at the challenges of bringing beloved pets into Dublin. What I am reading online is NOT encouraging.

I have two 15-year-old cats, 100% indoors, good health, friendly, homebody cats. Melvin & Priscilla.

I am thinking of flying them in cabin from CA > NY, then spend a couple of days in a pet-friendly hotel. I believe that United, Delta, and some other airlines will accommodate that as long as the cats fit under the seat, etc., and don't cause any fuss.

Next challenge is to get them across the Atlantic to Dublin. I have figured out a couple of options, and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

1) Call the airlines and see what their policies are. Aer Lingus, Delta seem to be options, but it seems that TSA recently (July 2021) eliminated emotional support status and is only assuring that seeing eye dogs and other pets trained for disabled owners will be allowed in the cabin.

2) Go to a travel agent and make all arrangements through the agent.

3) Maybe try NY > Amsterdam or other city that is close to Dublin for in-cabin, then short (hour) flight for cats in cargo. Give kitties calmatives so that they don't die of fright in the cargo.

4) Take the Queen Mary II . . . cats won't stay in rooms but they won't have the risks associated with air pressure, pitch dark/scary, etc. associated with cargo for five hours. Passengers may visit with their pets during certain hours of the day so that pets know that their humans haven't abandoned them to cargo. Queen Mary II will arrive in England, then maybe take cats on ferry to Dublin or else very short trip in cargo. Queen Mary II is not budget-friendly travel.

Their cat sitter will fly with us. She will take one cat; I will take the other.

I will have their vet complete paperwork about immunizations, etc., 10 days prior to arrival and take paperwork to USDA for certification. As soon as we arrive, I will take cats to IE vet for EU paperwork. Cats will have their EU Pet Passports ASAP.

Am I missing anything????? THANK YOU for suggestions.

Pat

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@pegan875 Hi Patricia,

A couple of responses to your questions came to me via email instead of onto the forum. Pasting 1 of 2 here. This one from @gwalt 

"The only airlines I’ve found that will allow in-cabin pets into Dublin is KLM. That does not include their partner Delta so make sure there isn’t a Delta connection, even if it has a KLM flight number. They will allow in cabin for flights in the US. No more emotional support animals. QE2 was booked for over a year last I checked.  

Chris "

ReplyQuote
(@pegan875)

@gwalt 

Thank you, Chris. I will definitely check into KLM. I appreciate your insights on the QE2, also. While I am certain that it would be lovely to take the Queen Mary 2, it would also be expensive. I just do not want to put my cats into cargo.

Thank you

Kind regards

Pat

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: