Clear all

[Sticky] Introduce yourself here

316 Posts
154 Users
98 Likes
48.6 K Views
(@sarahfellner)

hello, 

I am Canadian  have been offered a job in Ireland and am researching the process. My employer will apply for a work permit, and my husband can apparently qualify for a spousal permit so he can accompany me. He will not likely be working, and has retirement income. 

We have a small cat, and I want to bring her - has anyone done this by bringing their small pet in the cabin of plane?

Im not sure where in Ireland we will be locating, not sure if we should sell everything here and just rent a furnished place. We will be there for 2-3 years likely then would probably return to Canada. 

So stressed about costs of moving, cost of living (our income between 2 of us will be approx 45,000 euro after taxes - and purchase of car etc

all info appreciated! 

Thanks

Sarah

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Sarah,

I do not know of anyone who has made a trans-atlantic flight with their pet in the cabin of the plane. In fact each time I have flown with my pets, the only option was in the cargo area. This is the norm in the US anyway, and I'm guessing is the same from Canada.

I tried finding more info by looking on Air Canada's website. They say there are country restrictions, but couldn't find what those were. However on another site, there was a mention of a number of countries that you cannot fly your pet in the cabin. Ireland was not listed, but the UK was. If there are no direct flights to Ireland, then maybe they just don't bother to list it. I'd recommend calling each airline that you are considering.

On the topic of rentals, most/many houses in Ireland come furnished. It's not the norm in the US, is it in Canada? It may help sway your 'sell everything' decision. Personally, I'd put stuff in storage. I've done the sell/re-buy thing a number of times, and it really adds up fast. You just never get the value of your things, partly due the nature of the move. 

When will you know where in Ireland that you might end up? If it's Dublin, then 45k will be a stretch. Rent is high, as is day-to-day life. 

Let me know if you have specific questions. Feel free to start your own topics, or set up a time to talk with me.

Liam 

ReplyQuote
(@rrobynt)

Hi!!

I'm Rebecca. I've moved between the US & Ireland 4 times (not including summers with family). Most recently returned to Ireland last May.  I love international travel, cultural exchange and making people feel welcome. I just got my BA in December and I'm hoping to make a career in relocation services or talent mobility --- so finding this website is really inspiring!! I'm currently working as an intern at USIT (Irish travel agency) where I help young adults from Canada and the U.S. in Ireland on a Working Holiday authorization find their feet.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Rebecca - welcome to the site. It's good to have another multi-time mover here 🙂 I've gone back and forth 5 times!

Looking forward to seeing more of you on here.

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@soniae)

Hi Guys

We are moving to Dublin, Ireland in the next few months (waiting on the husband's visa to come through).  He will be joining an international bank there.  We are moving from Karachi, Pakistan where we have been for about 7 years.  I am a UK resident as I was born and raised there and moved to Pakistan for the last ten years.  We have two children (our son is 7 and daughter is 5).  The bank has informed us that we should look to live in the South of Dublin.  So any guidance on schools would be great.  Once we have schools sorted we would look live in that locality.  The bank will provide us with a house for two months whilst we sort ourselves out hence, any help in the direction of good state schools for our children would be great.  

Thanks a lot everyone.
Sonia

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Welcome to the site, Sonia. 

For school information I recommend that you read this article  https://irelandmoveclub.com/enrolling-child-school-ireland/

ReplyQuote
(@mitzi)

Hi Liam and friends,

I'm hoping to be able to stay in Ireland for at least a month, possibly 6 months or more. I own my own company and work from home so I can bring my job with me. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of visa I should apply for if I'm going to bring my own job and won't be looking for employment in Ireland. I've read if I stay for less than 3 months, I don't need to apply for a visa, but in case I want to stay longer once I'm there, I thought it would be good to get a visa for at least a year before I come over. Not sure how that all works.

Also, I've been looking at short-term, furnished apartments in the Christchurch area and I found this listing that looked interesting:

http://www.rent.ie/short-lets/Apt-8-Augustine-Court-Christchurch-Dublin-8-Christchurch-Dublin-8-Dublin-City-Centre/1768270/

In May, I stayed at an Airbnb across the street from Arthur's Pub, which I think is in that same neighborhood, and I really liked that area, so I'm trying to find a place near there. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about Augustine Court apartments, either good or bad. I'm also open to other suggestions for places to live near that area, but I can't afford much more than that 850 euros/month price. I'd even be open to some other areas, but I won't have a car, so I like the idea of being in walking distance to so many great restaurants and such. But since I didn't visit any other parts of the city, I don't know if other areas are better.

Last question! Will it be too bitterly cold to be able to enjoy taking public transport to go sightseeing around Ireland and in Dublin if I'm there December through maybe March? I'm wondering if I should just wait a few months and go when the weather is a bit warmer. May was wonderful, but I can see how it could get pretty freezing with the humidity and such. I would love to get back to Ireland sooner rather than later, though. So I'm torn. I'm used to Rocky Mountain winters, which are sunny and relatively warm even after a huge snow storm, so I'm not sure how great I'd do if it was bitterly cold all the time.

Okay, that's it for me. Thanks in advance for any answers/advice!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Mitzi,

The visa issue is largely dependent on what passport you hold. If it's a non-EEA one, then it's not as easy as showing up, or getting a visa ahead of time. Getting visas to work/live in Ireland is quite difficult. And, if you do need a visa to work in Ireland, you technically need one even if you work online. 

Regarding weather - yes it'll be cold 🙂 But, with the right clothes, and preparation, it's tolerable. Some days would obviously be a complete wash out - literally. You can expect quite a bit of rain. Ireland is pretty grey and wet throughout winter (and much of the rest of the year for that matter). 

Best wishes,

Liam 

ReplyQuote
(@mitzi)

Thanks Liam! That's all very good information to have. Would you happen to know, if I come for just a month or two, would I need to get a visa, or can I just come for vacation with my passport like I did when I was only staying 2 weeks in May? 

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Mitzi - generally visitor trips can up to a max of 90 days.

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 32
Share: