Clear all

Financial Planning Guidance- Moving from USA (CA) to Ireland

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sf2eire)
Topic starter  

All,

First off what a relief to find this forum over the weekend. Your wisdom has been a comfort. After a couple of decades in the USA, I am thinking my next move is to go back to Ireland. I am not yet at retirement age but would love to see if anyone has guidance on financial planning as I rent in SF but would like to get a house in Ireland when I return and the mortgage requirements seem onerous to say the least so would love to talk to someone who has made the move home and who made their financial means in the USA.

Guidance on what I can start to do in USA before I make the move home and I know it is frowned upon but am willing to dip into my retirement to make Irish re-entry easier. So if anyone knows someone who is knowledgeable about US retirement/pensions and making the move home I would be grateful. Thanks to Liam I know about the TaxExpats site which I will need and I hope to do consulting when I am home and be EU-based for that. I just read the post of driving license so that will be another adventure indeed! Lots to think about! Thanks all.

(@aingeala20)

best of luck. I just did that in October.. San Rafael to Kerry. I has been an adventure for sure. I miss Cali a lot but it is wonderful to be back in Ireland too after two decades and more away.

I shipped my belongings over as everything is much more costly here. I think it was worth it .

In retrospect Iwould have brought more of my belongings but I ended up giving lots away to friends, charities etc. I am still navigating the drivers license as theory tests have been delayed. I can't offer any financial advice but just saw your post and wanted to wish you good luck with the move.

ReplyQuote
(@sf2eire)
Topic starter  

@aingeala20

Thanks for responding. Good to hear you are adjusting to being home. I too plan to move to Kerry, it's a small world. Thanks for the advice on bringing more stuff home with me- it has been on my mind! I have now engaged a financial planner over here to see how I can be optimally set up when I get to Ireland. I will plan to work there too before I retire as I am still too young to retire.

Sounds like you had been in CA for over two decades, same here. Wishing you luck with the driver's test and with the ongoing adjustment to being home. It sure is a big decision! Regards. 

ReplyQuote
(@pegan875)

@aingeala20 

Hello Angela

Thank you for posting. May I ask how you arranged shipment of your belongings to IE? I, too, have been sorting/donating/tossing a LOT of stuff. Most is just accumulated stuff that I should discard anyway. After reading your post, I might just ship household items that I like and already have in hand. I also have three pieces of furniture and some framed posters/paintings to ship.

I am in Roseville, very near Sacramento. If you were satisfied with your shipping arrangements, would you please share the name/contact information for the company that you used? This would be very helpful.

With great thanks

Pat Egan

PS I am moving to Stillorgan, Co Dublin.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Patricia Egan

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS

ReplyQuote
(@aingeala20)

I used removed link in September 2020. They were good. You just need to pack your own boxes and organize them, label each one. They do provide clear instructions.

They were the most affordable. I received all my belongings in good condition and in a timely  manner. However with the backlog in many ports these days, that may cause some delays.

Best of luck!

ReplyQuote
(@pegan875)

@aingeala20

Thank you for your response. The link to the service that you used for moving was removed. Would you please resend it?

I finally made it to Dublin with cat #1. I will return to Cali for cat #2 in January. I definitely need to make moving arrangements for a few pieces.

I hope that you and yours are set to enjoy a lovely Christmas holiday!

Cheers

Pat

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS

ReplyQuote
(@aingeala20)

upakweship search for them 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Angela Keary

ReplyQuote
(@pegan875)

@aingeala20 

Thank you, Angela! I will look up upakweship.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Pat

Patricia Egan, MBA, MS

ReplyQuote
(@tom2007)

@aingeala20 I also am grateful for the information. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Share: