Getting set up, in the right order  

RSS

Carole Young
(@serialexpat)
25/12/2017 3:15 am  

I’m moving to Dublin next month and will have about 4 weeks to get everything set up before my shipped belongings arrive. As far as I can make out there seems to be a necessary order to do things in: 

1) finalise a job 

2) sign a rental lease (as a landlord will need an employer letter)

3) set up PPS, bank account, mobile phone (all need an address)

Is this right? Ideally I want to be looking at places to live at the same time as interviewing for work - will it be possible to sign a lease without a permanent job finalised? I have enough savings to cover the rent and can do temp work if necessary in the interim (I’m looking at senior roles - Sales/business development director level - but it may take a few weeks for the right opportunity to come up). I’m British so don’t need a work permit.

Thanks in advance for any advice

ReplyQuote
Liam
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Prominent Member Admin
27/12/2017 3:36 am  

Carole,

The order in which you describe things make most sense. It's a catch 22 with the address a lot of times, so if you have a rental agreement in place, that should work for the needs in #3. A job offer letter may work too. 

It's totally at the discretion of the landlord/agency as to whether they will lease to you without a job in place. 3rd parties almost definitely won't allow this. A private landlord might, but it's unlikely. There are short term housing options too. You could go down that route in the short term. 

Check out my brand new Moving to Ireland FAQ Guide!

**Filing US Taxes from abroad? Info & discount here**

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register