Clear all

Halloween

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid questions... what's protocol on Halloween? Is it "trick or treat" and hand out candy as it is in the US? Are there any surprises I should be aware of? Because no joke, every time I think I have a handle on what to expect here, I'm thrown a curve ball and awkwardness ensues. I need a head's up this time lol.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hey Megan - there are no stupid questions 🙂 When I first moved to the US, I don't know how many times I got crisps instead of chips, I didn't know what a burrito was, and I was told where to find an electric train when I asked where the trolleys were in a supermarket. There are plenty of hurdles to jump along the way to assimilation, especially in Ireland!

Door-to-door trick or treating is very much the norm in Ireland. Has been for a very long time. Last year was my first year as a parent in Ireland, and it was nice to see that the American way of throwing parties for kids in local malls and supermarkets has caught on big time. I'm sure you'll see some of those advertised near where you live.

As regards decorating the outside of the house, people don't go as wild in Ireland as they do in the states. I've seen a few fairly elaborately decorated houses, but nothing like I've seen in CA, where people set up entire graveyards, mummies, scary music, and even haunted houses for kids to pass through on their way in for a pack of M&M's!

As for surprises...I don't think you'll find too many. You'll always get a few kids who are that little bit too old for trick or treating, who are out to give kids a hard time. Usually it's pretty harmless stuff, but be on the lookout. Eggs are commonly thrown at Halloween in Ireland. Usually at houses of neighbours who don't throw back a football, or those ones who give kids a hard time, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@tony2phones)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Must get a few turnips:)

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So, turns out the neighborhood teens LOSE their minds while on break. Last couple of nights we've had midnight doorbell-ringing and dumped trash bins, in addition to sporadic fireworks. All in good fun, I'm sure, buuuuut obnoxious.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Fun for those doing it. Not much fun for people with young kids.
That's one of the things that i find WAY different in Ireland than in CA. Teens do run a bit wild in Ireland. I've lived in houses where it has been a real problem (not just at Halloween), one that wouldn't have lasted more than one night anywhere I've lived in CA. The cops wouldve put a stop to it instantly.
The usual "we have nothing else to do" just wouldn't fly.

I hope it doesn't become a problem for you, Megan.

ReplyQuote
Share: