Clear all

Third Culture Kids

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Liam, I'm going to assume this will not be new information for you. And it *shouldn't* have been new information to me (we are an American family but also spent two years living in Melbourne, Australia, where my middle daughter was born). But I'm late to the party and just now coming across the concept of Third Culture Kids. I spent a good portion of today reading Third Culture Kids by David C Pollock (found on Amazon) and it was an eye-opener. I thought I would pass along the reading recommendation for anyone else raising little ones between two countries.

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Megan,
I came across that phrase a couple of months ago. I think people on Twitter use it as a descriptor for themselves. Maybe that's where I came across it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Would you mind adding your comment to the new blogpost contributed by @katemreagan. I just published it today so you should be able to easily find it on the home page. I think it'd be relevant info there too?

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just dropped the recommendation on the post mentioned. 🙂 I have to say while it's an insightful read, it's weighing on me quite a bit (as not all aspects of a TCK upbringing yield positive results). I've found several websites on the matter, as well and will pass along any exceptionally useful resources I come across.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Thank you!

You have piqued my curiosity now. I'm going to have to check it out. I've read a few things about TCK online, and those who passionately live that life believe the outcome is well-adjusted, happy childhoods. Coming from a childhood where I lived in the same house my entire life until I moved away to the US, I probably lean more favourably on the side of giving my kids that kind of stability. But then what's right for one family, and another, can be miles apart. I guess it all comes down to how you raise them, and what values you give them. That doesn't have to be different no matter how many countries they end up living in.

Were the non-positive results long-term affects, or just day-to-day issues?

Feel free to drop links to any useful websites you find. It's an interesting topic, for many people who will be moving, whether it be to Ireland, or elsewhere around the world.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am not yet quite halfway through but it seems the biggest struggle TCKs can face are just the lack of a cultural identity and how that can carry over to a lack of personal identity and ability to form bonds. It's... complicated. I can share that presently my eldest is experiencing some moments of angst and sass that are very uncharacteristic (though she *is* 11 as of next week, so it may well be the age, too). My younger two are adapting very easily, no issues.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

You'd have to wonder will this be much of an issue as time passes (in general, not for your family). After all, so many people travel and move all over the world these days, therefore 'diluting' any culture that did exist.
Maybe in Ireland, where there hasn't traditionally been a lot of inward migration, this will take a while to have any long term affect. But, in places like the US, Australia, Canada, UK, where a large portion of people are from elsewhere, I think TCK's would be very much the norm. In southern CA, the percentage of people who have any sort of family ties to the area is pretty small. The culture is essentially re-forming continually.
I hope your daughter adjusts well, Megan. I'm sure she'll grow out of the 'sass' within the next 10 years 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Right, I think the vast majority of the challenges we're experiencing are just developmental, ages/stages, that sort of thing. The timing of this move was terrible for the eldest. But we'll power through as best we can. I have to say the younger two are adapting in an amazing way and I expect they'll benefit most from having lived in two (three, for middle child) countries.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Strike that, three countries for the eldest, middle child was born in Australia but only spent six weeks there, as opposed to two years for the eldest. Mom fail.

ReplyQuote
(@stretchza)

In Anticipation of our possible move this is what concerns me deeply..My eldest will be 15 if we take the plunge....In the initial discussions with her she is is only focusing on the move from the sun to the cold, the change from metric and the loss of friends...we haven't even delved into differences of cultures!

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I typed a novel-length response and it disappeared. Boo.

Anyway, I highly recommend giving the book a read and focus on the positive aspects of what it means to be a third culture kid. This is our second time living as expats as a family (we spent two years in Australia, when we only had one child and she was aged 2), and we've found the first 4-6 months are the most brutal. We expected meltdowns and sensitivities during this time frame and we are finding the eldest (the only one who is struggling - my children are 11, 8, and 3) is nearing the tail end of the move-related complaints. She's found other expats to relate to at school (landing in a German school was a nightmare initially, due to the circumstances surrounding it, but now I consider it a blessing in disguise). None of my children are whining or crying for American foods any longer. And they've found Skype and email work extremely well for keeping in touch back home. In fact, I think they speak more to their grandparents NOW than they did while Stateside!

I think awareness is everything, and reading Third Culture Kids gave me that. I know what to be sensitive to and I have a way better understanding of my kids' experience. And that's important, because their experience is way different than mine (given I'm an adult that already had a clearly defined cultural identity).

ReplyQuote
Share: