Home schooling options in Ireland

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Interesting question today from new forum member @westfamily722 today. Are there home schooling options in Ireland?

I haven't spent a ton of time on this as of yet, but from my initial research it is not anything like the US system, whereby parents can home-school their kids, without a whole lot of restrictions. The Irish system seems to be very much on an as-needed basis i.e. special education needs, medical grounds, maternity related needs.

I'll look into this in more detail, but for now, here's the official info/link and application details.

https://www.education.ie/en/Parents/Services/Home-Tuition/Circulars-and-Application.html

Please add to this topic if you find more relevant info.

(@kristininseattle)

Hi!

So I know a bit about this, as we are moving to Ireland with 2 kids, including one with autism who we will home school.

Confusingly "Home Tuition" is not the same as home school. The home tuition grant is for children who have been unable to find a suitable school payment. Home school by parents is a choice that is almost entrenched in the constitution with the sanctity of the family.

That said, it is harder to do than in some parts of the US -- you have to be evaluated by the child welfare board - Tulsa. Though I'm not finding the correct link at the moment.

Here is a home educator group that is a good place to start:

http://www.henireland.org/

They have a lot of good information.

ReplyQuote
(@kristininseattle)

also - the home tuition scheme is actually where the school system will pay a qualified teacher to come to your home and provide teaching to your child. It is hard to qualify for, and seems to be harder to find a qualified teacher who can do it. But, it's theoretically a great options for some families.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

@kristininseattle, Kristin, thanks so much for adding to this topic with that useful info and link. Would love to hear back from you here after the big move to see how home schooling works out for you. 

ReplyQuote
(@meiros)

Hi All

There is an official policy on homeschooling in Ireland:

www. citizensinformation.ie   state that: 

" The Irish constitution recognises the family as the primary educator of the child and defines duties and responsibilities for parents and the State in the education of children. Section 14 of the Education (Welfare) Act 2000 makes provision for parents to educate their children in places other than recognised schools, such as in the home or in private schools where they are not required to follow a national curriculum. The Act states that parents must ensure their child receives a certain minimum education.  Guidelines on the Assessment of Education in places other than recognised schools (pdf) have been published under section 16 of the Act. The guidelines provide a working definition of “a certain minimum education”, describe home-based education and offer guidance on how it may be assessed. They also cover the legal background of home education."   

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thank you for this info @meiros

ReplyQuote
Share: