Notifications
Clear all

Marrying an Irish Citizen as a non-EU Citizen

25 Posts
9 Users
4 Likes
24.4 K Views
(@gabbi13elise)

Hey Kelsey So I am currently engaged to an Irish citizen and I am American. We move back and forth a lot just so that we can be together. When  we stay in America we have an apartment and while being in Ireland I have stayed with his family. I read all the questions you were asked and would be able to answer and he would as well. But we are trying to figure out more on this. Where do I go to apply for this? And how many times did you guys travel back and forth to see eachother? Just trying to figure out what they might be looking for? Im just tired of spending so much on airline tickets and marriage has already been discussed and we are ready to get to it. We are younger as he is only 22 and I am 20 so I hope that age would not be a HUGE bad factor in this. What do you think? I just need some advice and help and I see you have gone through my situation so I am reaching out to you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

ReplyQuote
(@ballen62)

Did you contact the registrar in Dublin?  My fiance and I are having quite the struggle getting in touch with someone.  He calls daily and in the past 2 months, he has actually gotten someone on the phone twice.  The first time, we needed information and how I could register via post, and now we need to book an appointment for intent to marry.  Does anyone have any advice on how best to contact the registrars office?  I'm at my wits end and would like to start nailing down the date and everything else.

ReplyQuote
(@melissa)

Hi there,

First of all, thanks so much to everyone who has been sharing their experiences on here as it's been really reassuring to see that other people have made it through this daunting situation unscathed! 

I've a few questions as myself and the fiance are preparing to give our notice. I'm Canadian and he's Irish- he lives in ROI and I'm currently on a UK visa living in N.I (expiring in a couple weeks). 

1. As I am not currently living in ROI, it appears we need to request to give our notice via post. This is fine, however I'm now concerned about these interviews as I had read somewhere (presumably on the official citizens information site- I should probably have that memorised by now!) that if notice is given by post, because one of the parties is not living in Ireland the 3 months prior to the marriage, that the couple must attend a meeting/interviews 5 days before the intended wedding. 

Does this sound completely wrong? It sounds as if most of you had to do a lot of back and forth beforehand and this seems a bit *too* easy..

2. I plan on coming back to Ireland just before the wedding and entering on a short term stay visa (90 days) and informing them at border control that we intend to marry and will then be seeking to stay resident. I've read that this is something they'd be used to hearing and I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot in any way by saying this but can anyone confirm?

3. Once we're married, we'll be looking to then take all our documents to the local garda station to get permission for me to remain and I know we'll need the marriage certificate. Does anyone know how long it generally takes from the time of the marriage ceremony to get the official marriage certificate? 

Sorry for all the long-winded questions, just *really* want to do this right and avoid any delays or headaches! 

Thank you!! 

Melissa 

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Melissa,

With regard to #2, be sure to have them give you the longest timestamp possible when coming in as a tourist. I know of cases where they'll ask how long you plan to stay and stamp it for exactly that amount of time. If the person before you is staying 2 weeks, you don't want that stamped on your passport. You'll need plenty of time after you do marry to get everything in order to send for residency status.

I hope someone else can chime in on your other questions. I don't have personal experience with it.

Liam

ReplyQuote
(@threefour)

edited by admin with link to duplicate post

Permission to remain

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: