Notifications
Clear all

Marrying in the US and moving to Ireland

2 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@janie267)
Topic starter  

My Irish fiancé and I have been together (long distance with multiple visits) for 3 years now. We are now planning to get married but we really want to do it in the state of Colorado in the US during one of his visits. 

Please forgive my ignorance but can we marry in the US while he is visiting and then go back to Ireland together and then go through everything we need to do there? Or is there something we need to do first in Ireland before we can do that? Are we allowed to marry in the US per Irish law? Pretty sure American law states it’s ok as long as the Irish citizen doesn’t violate their tourist visa time and returns to Ireland when they’re supposed to. It’s all so confusing and neither of us can seem to find help on this subject! The whole reason we want to do it this way is because in Colorado you can have a self solemnized wedding and that’s what we’d both like. We just have no idea if we can! Or how to go about it without getting in legal trouble.

Thanks so much and please forgive our ignorance. When we got together we never thought about how difficult it would be to do this in the future and we’re both a little overwhelmed!

Thanks a million!

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hey Jane, we're happy to help 🙂

"Please forgive my ignorance but can we marry in the US while he is visiting and then go back to Ireland together and then go through everything we need to do there?" Absolutely yes! Provided the marriage in the US is legal, and legal recognized 🙂 There are other topics on the forum about this. I suggest searching for them for more info.

Remember, proving the legitimacy of your marriage is key. I don't doubt it, but you have to prove to the Irish authorities, that everything is above board. The requirements are outlined on various websites, the best/more authoritative being INIS, Citizens Info

Welcome to the site 🙂 Be sure to update us as new info arises. Always looking for new info, new situations etc...

Reach out with new questions as they come up

Liam 

Liam and Liam reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: