Notifications
Clear all

Moving elderly parent

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@db)
Topic starter  

I am an Irish citizen hoping to bring my 87 yr old US citizen mother to live here with my family. Just hoping someone might give me a few hints before starting the process. Firstly, I understand that despite having healthcare that has a 25% deductible abroad, she will have to take out full healthcare from a provider such as cigna which will cost about 900/month?! Any alternatives for someone her age? Secondly, she must submit a financial declaration from an Irish based accountant. Does anyone have a rough estimate on how much that would cost? Finally, the INIS page I found only gave a checklist of items that she must submit. Do I wait for the INIS to request info from myself and my husband as sponsors?
Sorry if these questions have already been addressed, but I just wanted to know what I might be getting myself into!

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Dee

Another member recently commented on this, but just from a different immigration perspective. Here's a link to her comment
http://irelandmoveclub.com/forums/topic/private-medical-insurance-do-they-offer-plans-to-non-citizens/#post-2675
She purchased a basic insurance policy from Aviva, and recently switched to VHI. 900/month does not sound right, so look into that one closely.

Regarding the accountant, one reader commented that it cost approx €1200+vat. You can read that info here
http://irelandmoveclub.com/forums/topic/self-supporting-financial-requirements-accountant-research/

I think some of your other questions may be answered in this blog post which i strongly recommend reading
http://irelandmoveclub.com/stamp-0-clarifications-from-a-current-applicant/

I hope this helps
Liam

ReplyQuote
(@db)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply. After reading a bit more on the INIS website, I discovered the "join family" long term visa. My mother would submit documents proving that she was dependent on me and I would submit documents showing that I qualify to be her sponsor before leaving the States. Apparently, it can take up to 6 months for this visa to be issued. Upon arrival, she would then register with the GNIB. The preclearance will hopefully eliminate in her case the limbo in which many regular retirees find themselves.

By the way, the 900/mo insurance was an online quote from cigna. I assume the high cost was a reflection of her age. It is good to know that no one can be refused medical insurance in Ireland--even with 70% loading it is significantly cheaper to stay with an Irish insurer.

Thanks again, Dee

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Dee, thanks for the update. Sorry if I misled you. I was assuming you were going down the stamp 0 route.

I'd love to hear more about the long-term visa for family. You were the first person here I have encountered who is going down this route. I would really appreciate if you kept us up-to-date on the process and your progress for your mom. I wish you the very best of luck and success

ReplyQuote
Share: