Clear all

Permission to Remain in Ireland as the spouse of an Irish National

142 Posts
43 Users
14 Likes
47.3 K Views
(@cvannest)

@katemreagan

Thank you Kate for the information! Yes they are the nicest airports in the world I feel like as I've travelled extensively so I'm expecting no problems...fingers crossed 😀 but yes he will be at the airport to pick me up I suppose if they have additional questions. No I do not have my PPS number yet. I was going to apply for it online as soon as I have a copy of my lease with my name on it. Then next will buy medical insurance. Were you able to get yours in advance?

@ronnie29 @moveclubadmin thank you both for your help.

ReplyQuote
(@niamhienic)

Hi everyone! I'm Irish, living in Canada. My fiance(Canadian) and I are getting married in Ireland in August and we're toying with the idea of not coming back to Canada and moving to Ireland permanently when we go for the wedding. I was curious about my fiance's options to be able to work asap. would this be the fastest route? In simple terms when we arrive at the airport my fiance would declare his intent to stay permanently , he would then get a 90 day stamp in the airport, we would then visit our local garda station to hopefully get a stamp 4? I'm from rural Limerick so we wouldn't be dealing with Dublin. What documentation do we need for this process?is it possible it could be as easy as this? also how does he go about getting a pps number? sorry about all the questions and sorry if they've all been answered before!new to all this, great website!!

Niamh 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

Hi @niamhienic, welcome to the site! @ronnie29 might be able to answer your question on what documents are needed as he went through this process recently. It differs slightly from those applying through EU Treaty Rights. I will say the immigration website outlines the process as well.

Regarding his PPS number. He will need to go to the local intreo office, or whichever office issues the PPS numbers in your area, and make an appointment. Unfortunately, he cannot just get a PPS number for being your spouse (at least that is what we were told - it may be different for irish spouses vs eu spouses.) If he says he is intending on applying for a medical card, that will be sufficient, whether he does or not.

ReplyQuote
(@ronnie29)

@Niamh the good thing for you is you Irish and the process is quite fast for spouses of Irish nationals.Im South African and my wife is Irish. The first thing I suggest you get is a tenancy agreement in both your names. After you get married as soon as possible go to your nearest Garda immigration station close to you get your husband registered the process there takes less than 20 mins they will ask for your marriage certificate and tenancy agreement, it took me 10 days in total including weekends because I Iive outside Dublin the card is issued in Dublin and application also processed in Dublin so they will tell you 2 weeks for his immigration card stamp 4. When your husband collect his stamp 4 card which is valid for 3 years thats when they can stamp his passport with the stamp 4. For spouses of Irish nationals we can apply for our pps number after we have our stamp 4 which the process is very smooth. If you live in Dublin he would get his stamp 4 card and stamp the same day. Dont hesitate to ask any questions.

ReplyQuote
(@ronnie29)

@Niamh like Kate said its very true they don't just give you a pps number. I had to say its for the medical card and because of that they require him to fill out the medical card form which they will take copies and use that as a sufficient reason to get a pps number.

ReplyQuote
(@niamhienic)

@ronnie29 and @katemreagan you guys are awesome, thanks so much! when we go to the garda station to get my husband registered are there any other documents we need? anything we can prepare ahead of time? or all we need is proof of address and marriage certificate?

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

@niamhienic you will need to bring your passports for as well for both your immigration appointment and PPS.

ReplyQuote
(@feliciab)

Just seeking some clarification...I'm a US citizen and my soon to be spouse is a UK citizen. From what I understand having read this thread, I would need to complete the EU1 form prior to being able to get my Stamp4...I know that someone listed the required documents for the application and my question is this- my partner will be moving to Ireland before me...as far as the tenancy agreement is concerned, is it generally an easy process to simply be added onto the agreement by a landlord? I'm not familiar with rental agreements in Ireland and just want to ensure that we go about this process correctly and in such a way that makes the process as smooth as possible.

Thank you 🙂

Felicia

ReplyQuote
(@ronnie29)

I think in this case Felicia your partner would need to check first with the landlord or agent handling the tenancy agreement if its possible and smooth to add you to the tenancy agreement. In Ireland your tenancy agreement is registered to the residential tenancies board. Which makes your tenancy agreement more legal and even sufficient to act as proof of address to open a Irish bank account. I suggest your partner asks about it with your landlord or agent.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Felicia, @feliciab

It should not be too much of an issue to add your name to the tenancy. Especially if you're renting from a private individual. Try to have them add your name from the outset to avoid any delays.

For reference, here is a link to the tenancy board that Ronnie mentioned http://www.rtb.ie

Liam

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 15
Share: