Notifications
Clear all

Quickest way to move to Ireland for US citizen and de facto Irish partner

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@enrique)
Topic starter  

Hi there, my partner is an Irish citizen and I am a US citizen. We need to move back to Ireland ASAP due to a family matter that my de facto partner needs to tend to. We're trying to figure out the quickest way to get there.

I have a job in the USA at a multi-national company with offices in Ireland. I've received permission to transfer my job to Ireland.

We started down the de facto partnership preclearance route but fear this might take too much time. 

We have been together for 6.5yrs and were planning on getting married in Ireland after arriving but it seems like getting married here in the states and then going to Ireland would be our best option. As I understand it, if we're married and living together in Ireland, I simply need an appointment with Garda after I arrive and I can start working. 

What do you all think? Will us getting married weeks before moving to Ireland be cause for suspicion or any issue if we have 6 years documentation of co-habitating and co-assets (cars, etc.)? My goal is to be able to start working as soon as possible after arriving. Thanks!

Topic Tags
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Enrique,

I think anything you hear on here about that question is going to be subjective. Seems like you have two good options, but the timing is hard for anyone to predict. I do know that most people who comment here who arrive in Ireland seeking a Stamp 4, get it in a pretty short space of time. Your alternative option requires marriage planning etc in Ireland, which will add a bit of time to that. Maybe not much? Covid will probably add time also, e.g. quarantining upon arrival, availability of services, etc. 

Whichever way you go, be prepared to show plenty of evidence. It sounds like you should have no problem with a 6+ year history. 

I wish you well.

ReplyQuote
Share: