US Citizen moving to be with Irish Citizen

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
(@irishmeetsus)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

This is my first post so let me tell you a little about my situation,

I am an Irish citizen and my partner is a US citizen, we are not married yet but want to sometime (soon if it helps or 2 to 3 years if it does not matter). The main goal we are trying to achieve is to be together here in Ireland (or in the us). We are both on the younger side but have been in a relationship for 2 years long distance (We have met multiple times and know we are meant for each other). We both want to do whatever it takes for one of us to make a permanent move to the other. We are both college students but either of us would give it up or continue studying in the other country so we could be together. One problem we are facing is that education costs are so expensive for an international student studying abroad (either me studying in the us or her studying here in Ireland is ).

Is there any way for her to come here and study as a non international student? (If we got married would she get cheaper prices?)

What would the best way for her to live her permanently if she stopped studying?

If you think there is any more info that would help me that would be great.

And please don't say 'You should both finish studying in your home country's first' or anything like that because that could take 4 years and there is no way we could handle being apart that long even with visits to each other.

Help would be very much appreciated as every day is a struggle without her 🙁

(@kristininseattle)

Hi --

I met my now husband as a student in Ireland, so I know how the long distance thing goes. We've also done me getting a stamp 4 in Ireland (spouse of citizen residency) and green card for him for US.

What I know: 

College fees are not related to being married to a citizen, or even being a citizen - it is all residency. My son is in high school, and we are thinking of moving back so that he has residency for college purposes. You need to be legally resident for 3 of the past 5 years in Ireland. (Or Europe)

Even getting married for residency is tricky - they may want you to show that you have the financial resources to not be dependent on the state -- this goes for US or Ireland. When we applied for my husband's green card, they wanted my last 3 years tax returns and required that it was something like 150% of the poverty line? I had been a college student, so didn't qualify and had to have my dad submit his returns and promise to support us if we needed it (for something like 10 years).

You could maybe look into relocating to another EU country if you get married. The freedom of movement thing seems to make this a little bit more straightforward for some reason.

ReplyQuote
Share: