Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Introduce yourself here

316 Posts
154 Users
98 Likes
49.6 K Views
(@annie)

Hi Liam, thank goodness I found your website! It has already been so useful to me. My husband and I are looking to move over to Ireland from the UK this autumn and buy a smallholding. We are just trying to work out how to get a PPS number. At the moment, our plan is for my husband to come over to Ireland and rent so that he can get the PPS number then we can buy a property. It would be a bit difficult for us to both go at the same time as we have 4 dogs and 7 tortoises! Any advice on this would be gratefully received. 

ReplyQuote
(@liam-dowling)

Hello all.  I just wanted to take some time to say hi and show some appreciation for all the content that you have brought together Liam.  My wife and I have been considering making the move to Ireland, and this information is invaluable.  While our potential move is still in the planning stages, I do have a question if there are any restrictions on travel out of Ireland.

I am lucky enough to have dual-citizenship, but my wife is not.  Her concern is that during a potential naturalization process for her, would she be able to come back to the US if the need should arise, ie family emergency.

Thanks for the help

ReplyQuote
(@flanaganmcrl)

hi everyone!  My name is Leigh and my husband and I are interested in moving to the west coast of Ireland.  We've been multiple times and have found a few areas that we love, but are unsure about real estate agents?  Are they like the ones here in the US, where you talk to someone, you tell them what you are looking for and they will send you homes via e-mail?  Or do you just go on daft and talk to multiple people?  What's the best way?

ReplyQuote
(@mysticalpixel)

Hey everyone. Name is Jackie and myself (American) and my fiance (Irish) are planning a fall move to west coast (Co. Clare) Ireland to be closer to his mother. Looking forward to chatting with you all and  mining this site for all the information I didn't even realized I needed! 

ReplyQuote
(@tintin1957)

I've just discovered this site so looking at all the information available on here 🙂

I'm Michael, born in UK but Irish parents and relocating to Ireland later this year, Waterford is my intended location. I'm going over in three weeks to do some serious research and reconnaissance. 

I'm early retired and will be looking to buy a property in the near future. No need for any employment thankfully. I've been doing lots of online research and getting very excited about this new phase of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@sarahanddoug)

Hello! My name is Sarah. I am looking to move to Ireland this summer. My fiance lives in Northern Ireland, Derry, to be exact. I am facing numerous walls when trying to obtain a visa to permit my daughter and me to move there. I am hoping to be able to find guidance and advice here. I have applied for numerous jobs but no one wants to sponsor my work visa. We are not sure which direction to take. Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote
(@sarahanddoug)

Also!! I should mention...I am from the United States.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hey everybody, sorry I have been offline for a couple of weeks. Welcome to all the new people since I last checked in: That's you Jacob, Annie, Liam Dowling, Leigh, Jackie, Michael & Sarah.

There are so many many questions, and it is almost impossible for me to keep up as the site grows. Please remember there is also this option: Let's Talk!

Also, please be willing to help each other out and post links to info you find on this site and others, in reply to questions you might see. This site only works when we all share and participate. 

Having said that, in response to some recent activity:

Annie - 4 dogs and 7 tortoises! Whoa! Consider yourself lucky you're just moving from the UK. That would break the bank if it was from the US. Are there restrictions in moving tortoises?

Liam D - thanks so much for the kind words! Much appreciate the feedback. 

Leigh - traditionally, Irish people did all the hunting, however there are brokers now who offer this service, e.g. like BuyersAgent.ie that you might have seen advertised here. To go about the process on your own can be very painful as you might have read here and here

Jackie - welcome to the site. Looking forward to chatting with you too 🙂

Michael - good to have you here. 

Sarah - Welcome! I responded to your query in another topic btw. 

Talk to you all soon

Liam 

ReplyQuote
(@sibs)

Hi everyone

I am a South African looking to move to Ireland. I am actually looking for advice on how to go about finding a sponsored visa/work permit. I have registered my CV on a couple of websites and employment agents send me emails but once I mention that I am outside Ireland and looking for a sponsored visa or work permit I never hear from them again, giving me the impression that they don't deal with that. Would it be better maybe to visit first and look while in the country??

ReplyQuote
(@gerry1979)

Hi all, 

Great page with so much info.

so far after days of research online I can't get an answer to my query, hopefully you guys can help me out.

Im an Irish citizen, I met my gf who is Australian 3 years ago while I travelled Oz. Last year I had to come home as I have a sickness in my family.

Steff ( my gf) followed me over here after 3 months while the tied up a few loose strings over there. she came over on a one year working holiday. Her visa comes to an end in 1 month. We are looking at defacto as an option to stay here but I think we are lacking evidence. We did not live together over there and have no join bill etc. Also we are both camera shy and have only a hand full of pics.. All from 2015 dated..

sunce she came over to Ireland we have gathered evidence over the last 11 months, joint bills, join bank account etc.

what do you guys reckon of our chances?

also when we apply for defacto can Steff stay in Ireland and work in Ireland while we wait for a decision..

many thanks in advance guys

Gerry

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 32
Share: