Clear all

Irish Language in Schools

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just slapped a blog post up, with my ten year old's assistance. Thought I'd share in the event our chosen supplemental resources may be useful to any other expats looking to assist their little ones in learning Irish language. I admittedly still have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't fully understand the course Irish language takes in schools. It was my basic understanding it is introduced during year five (which my eldest happens to be) and is included on the eventual junior certificate, but beyond that, I'm clueless.

In any case, here is my present experience and minimal knowledge.

http://deserttodublin.blogspot.ie/2015/10/ex-pat-kids-learning-irish-language.html

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Thanks, Megan. Also check out siopagaeilge.ie for Irish language books for kids.

By the way, kids start learning Irish in school in their very first year. I don't know if that's different in private schools, but I can't imagine why it would be. They sit the same tests, and would be behind for Junior and Leaving if they don't start until their fifth year.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think in our case they begin during year 5 due to the fact it is a German school. While they still adhere largely to Irish educational standards, there are some differences I've noted. I have a year 2 student, too, and zero Irish is being introduced for her this year. I had the same thoughts/concerns re: junior cert when their principal explained they begin in year 5 and she was very dismissive of my line of questioning.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ah, just found my answer. In our case it is due to the introduction of German language taking priority http://www.kilians.com/kindergarten-and-primary/

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

I am by no means an educational expert, but 5 years sounds like an awful lot of priority to give to one language over another. Especially when the other is mandatory for the state exams. I'm sure they have some reasoning for this, but it just seems a little strange to me.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

When are junior certs? We are due to return Stateside at the end of her eighth year. With any luck, it's a non issue for is anyway. But yes, it is unusual.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Junior Cert is taken at the end of 3rd year in secondary school.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Are there any critical standardized tests between 5th and beginning of 9th? I honestly have no idea how her records will transfer once Stateside even, especially with new American common core standards and testing in the mix. In some regards, it would have been simpler to homeschool while in Ireland using an American curriculum... but when given 30 days to obtain a GNIB and the TUSLA homeschool approval process taking significantly longer, it wasn't even an option for us.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Megan, just so I answer correctly, the state exams are taken at the ends of 3rd and 6th year of secondary school. The last year of primary is called 6th, then it restarts at 1 in secondary.

Not sure about the transfer of records either. Maybe start planning that one well in advance when you're closer to the time. Calls to schools in the US might help

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks so much!

Also, I found more info on the introduction of Irish in year five. Apparently this is the standard in foreign language schools, as a second language is already in place. These students are tested at a lower level in Irish on their compulsory exams. When next I speak with one of the girls' teachers I'll attempt to get more concrete information on this loophole, as it may be of interest to other expats facing a dual language schooling situation.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: