Irish Language in Schools

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Kate,
Until high school, most kids learn Irish as a second language. It is a requirement in all state schools. Most people will tell you that after 14 years of learning it in school, they'd be unable to hold a conversation with a native speaker. It might have improved since I left school, but the way it was taught up until recent years, just didn't enable most of us to speak it fluently.

The Gaelscoil system will hopefully change that. When I was in school there wasn't very many of them, and those that were around, had pretty small numbers. Now there are full on class sizes, primary and secondary school. If you can get your kids in, it gives them a natural way of becoming fluent in a second language. Obviously Irish is not widely spoken around the world, but just having an education through another language is great for their little brains. If you can, I'd recommend contacting schools now. You might get lucky. I'm not sure if I discussed this with you before, but in Ireland parents put their kids names on waiting lists from the day they're born. Competition for spots is high.

Not many kids learn another language in primary school, but most do in secondary. From what I recall it is a requirement up until Junior Cert level (year 1-3), but can be dropped after. Universities in Ireland used to require a foreign language for entry, and that is probably still the case. Check out @mcrose 's blog. Megan has her primary school age kids enrolled in a German speaking school.

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the info Liam. Yes, you and I have previously discussed the "list" 🙂

We are still trying to nail down where we are going to settle - February cannot come fast enough since we will be able look at the areas we are considering. Right now Clonmel is on the top of the list. It's a midway point for us between Carlow and Little Island, and if I decide to stay home then it is not too far for Joe to commute down to Little Island.

There are quite a few schools in Clonmel so I'll take your advice and start contacting them now. We really want them in a national or Gaelscoil school, not an independent.

Time to get added to the list.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: