Clear all

Irish Language in Schools

22 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Also "Glendalough Tower Lookout" is making me giggle, as we were just there yesterday, hahaha!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

That's interesting. I never knew there were different levels of testing. Unless you mean they are compelled to take the lower level (sometimes called Ordinary) exams? That would put them at a disadvantage, because the max achievable points would be 60, not 100 as available at Higher level.

Glad you got a giggle from my silly member titles 🙂 I saw your pics from Glendalough. Stunning!

ReplyQuote
(@stretchza)

We are currently in the process of seriously considering a move to Ireland, and of course the biggest concern is the how ny girls will fit in with the education system and where. Based upon their current grapples with our indigenous languages and reminiscing back to my grapples it seems that genetically we are not very gifted when it comes to languages! I am thus concerned at the prospect of them learning a language at a very late stage in their education (Will be 15 and 13 when we start in 2016/2017). I have read that after 12 you may get a concession to not do Irish language in school. While I am all for fitting in 100% this would take a huge burden of their shoulders .Can anyone confirm this?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hi Andrew @stretchza, Welcome and thanks for jumping straight in with some great questions/comments.

My own wife moved to Ireland for the first time many years ago at the age of 12. She did not take Irish in school.

I would tend to agree with you. Your kids might be on the older side to begin learning it, especially knowing and considering how it it is taught in schools. They would find it extremely difficult to catch up. This is just my own opinion, but it might be best to get the opinions of some educators e.g. Call some potential schools and speak to the principal about it.

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@stretchza on the subject of fitting it, Ireland has become very multi-cultural in recent years. They almost certainly wouldn't be the only ones not doing Irish.

ReplyQuote
(@stretchza)

Thanks @Liam...we are actually considering a quick 5 day trip to come chat to schools and look at areas at the end of November

Edit: how do I link to a user ?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Good idea!

To link, hover over a users name to get their ID. The display name may not = ID. In my case it's @moveclubadmin

ReplyQuote
(@mcrose)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Here are the details on Irish language exemption: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/exemption_from_irish.html

My daughter turned 11 on Halloween. We moved here in August. She did not meet the criteria for exemption, however, as stated earlier, her school, because it is a second language school as it is, doesn't introduce Irish until year 5.

There are loads of international schools worth considering, which at this stage we now consider a blessing, as my daughter is amongst other expats and they share a common experience. Additionally, Educate Together are a non-denominational national school option and have a tendency to bring expats together, as well. Had we had the option to use national schools, we had intended to use Educate Together once my daughter reached secondary school. However, they are few and far between and often have wait lists, so it is critical to make contact with a school one is considering as early as possible. http://www.educatetogether.ie/

ReplyQuote
(@stretchza)

yip

I see there are only 4 second level schools (with some new ones opening in 2016)..lots to consider

ReplyQuote
(@katemreagan)
Trusted Member

Is anyone familiar with the language requirements/offerings at the national/state schools?

I already know that both my boys will be learning Irish, which is fine by me! We are also looking into sending them to a gaelscoil if they can get in. However, I am wondering if they go to a regular national/state school and will be learning Irish, are they required to learn any other languages? If so, are the choices limited?

From my own experience growing up in the states, I wish that a second language was more prominent in the curriculum. Only Spanish and French were offered in the area I grew up in and it was only required for 2 years in high school. So I can really only order food or ask for directions, haha!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: