Clear all

Remote work for US company

28 Posts
10 Users
4 Likes
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@alexay Hey Alexa, not sure I fully follow. If your husband becomes a Polish citizen he can work freely in Ireland. Are you saying that he would continue to be paid in the US? If you are resident for half the year or more in Ireland, then you have to pay taxes there. In the past, I have switched over to a contract agency in Ireland so that I could continue doing work for my US based employer. That's one option, to keep it clean. Other's could include setting up as an independent contractor, or going through an EU branch of the company if there is one.

ReplyQuote
Alexa Y
(@alexay)

@moveclubadmin

Hey Liam! That actually totally answered my question. His company is so small and they don't even have an HR department, so knowing that he can find a contract agency in Ireland or switch to being an independent contractor to keep working with them is really helpful. We were just curious what options we could start mentioning to his company when the move came up, they're pretty slow in the internal paperwork department and definitely wouldn't do the research on their own ?

ReplyQuote
(@kpmccahill)

@moveclubadmin Hey Liam, can you tell me a little more about this contract agency option you mention above? Does it mean your US employer used an Irish agency for things like payroll tax? Just curious what that was and how you made it work. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@kpmccahill Sure thing Kevin. This was a good while back, but I'm sure the same is still doable.

I was a full time employee for a company in the US at the time. They wanted me to continue working after I moved back to Ireland, and do so remotely. They did not have an office in Ireland then, so had me go through a temp agency in the US. I can't remember which one now, but something like Kelly Services, Manpower, etc. That agency had offices in Ireland too. I was paid from the Irish office, who then billed their US counterpart to true everything up.

I hope that helps. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Liam

ReplyQuote
(@gailardia)

Good day Liam and everyone,

I currently work remotely for an International company that does not have an office in Ireland. I do not have a work visa to work in Ireland but is there a way for my job at my current company to be counted towards getting residency in Ireland if I lived there but still work for this company? I read the responses about temp agencies. Would that apply to me? Could you all go in to more depth as to what options would be available to me with this specific circumstance?

ReplyQuote
(@kpmccahill)

@moveclubadmin I never said thank you Liam, I appreciate your input very much!

Liam and Liam reacted
ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@gailardia Francis, to clarify, I am an Irish citizen, so that was an easy option for me. It may not apply to you, as you would still need an employer to get a work permit for you.  Hope this helps.  

ReplyQuote
(@gailardia)

@moveclubadmin

Understood, thank you so much for your help Liam. I just read this in regards to work in Ireland:

Who does not need an employment permit?

You do not need an employment permit to work legally in Ireland if you are in one of the following categories:

Citizens of EEA member states,Switzerland and the UK, and their spouses, civil partners and dependants (regardless of their nationality)

Does this mean that since I am married to a German national, that I do not need an employment permit, even if she is not living in Ireland?

ReplyQuote
 Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

@gailardia Sounds like a situation that's best clarified by the immigration service. With your spouse's help you would probably qualify for a Stamp 4 visa. I believe she would need to be present, and living in Ireland also. 

ReplyQuote
(@gailardia)

@moveclubadmin

Got it. I will get in contact with them. Thank you once again.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: