Clear all

Renting Advice

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@philmarlowe)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but a quick search didn't turn up too much. My wife and I are moving to Ireland from Cape Town in June and the biggest worry for me is finding somewhere to live. 

We'll both be arriving without work, which isn't ideal but seems unavoidable, but I do have an Irish passport and my wife does qualify for a Stamp 4 so finding work shouldn't be impossible. I have lived in Ireland previously and so do have a PPS number which should also help. My questions are really as follows:

1. I remember from when I lived in Dublin previously that jobs were essential for renting. If you didn't have one hardly anyone would look at you. We will have fairly significant savings to tide us over while job searching and we will have opened an Irish bank account to hold these savings. Will this help? Is there anything we can do to streamline this?

2. I also remember that letters from previous landlords were quite important. My wife and I have owned our own flat for the past 5 years so we don't have any landlords to get letters from. Would letters from our building's body corporate help?

Basically, we are going to be hitting the ground quite cold and any advice to make this process a bit easier would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

Liam
(@moveclubadmin)
Honorable Member Admin

Hey Jon,

It makes total sense that landlords require that their tenants be employed, but not everyone is looking for work, or needs it.  If your savings can go a long way, then that'll be helpful. Some landlords will also take on renters who pay multiple months up front. None of this is standard though, and it'll very much be on a case by case basis. Short term rentals could be an option for you too e.g Airbnb/spotahome etc. 

Similarily with #2, not everyone has a rental history, but in this case mortgage statements showing consistent monthly payments will help.  A lot of time landlords are also looking for references describing you as a good tenant with respect to returning the property in good shape etc. A short term rental could help with that, or maybe you could get a couple of references from old flat mates etc.

cheers,

liam

ReplyQuote
(@philmarlowe)
Topic starter  

Hi Liam,

Thanks very much for the reply. We will definitely look into all of that.

Thanks again,

Jon

ReplyQuote
Share: