Notifications
Clear all

Stamp 0 person of independent means questions

140 Posts
23 Users
30 Likes
23.4 K Views
(@laneiger)

@countydonegal good luck! This is an annoying step for sure, the theory test. But the app actually makes it very doable

I would also find a driving instructor - as according to mine - 1/3 left the work force due to covid. Maybe someone can give you recommendations. May not be as big an issue on the west side. At least six lessons will be needed. Good to have some names. 

We have a local expat group that I asked. People with kids getting their lessons are a good resource as well.

Also - get a manual test and not an automatic - gives more options later. 

Good luck. hope no sheep questions trip you up. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@laneiger Well, I've never heard of a "Zebra Crossing" so that was a learning moment!

Can you clarify what you mentioned: "Also - get a manual test and not an automatic - gives more options later."  I'm not following 🙁

Thank you!!

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

@countydonegal 

Ireland allows you do to the driving test in an automatic - which means your license is only good for an automatic.  This can be very limiting... so you want to take lessons and the driving test on a manual - giving total freedom 

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@laneiger Ok, got it!  Many thanks!  I'll be renting a car initially (automatic) and hope to buy a car as soon as possible. It's my understanding that I can do the driving lessons in a rental but I need to own a car for the driving test.  Is that correct?

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

I am using the instructor's car to take lessons and do the exam.

I do not know if there are any restrictions on rental versus owning one for the exam. 

JOHN HOGAN, Jeanine C, JOHN HOGAN and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jaconaty1)
Eminent Member

It is my understanding that you can take lessons on a rental, but you cannot take the test on a rental.  My instructor allowed lessons and tests on his car.  I had purchased my car (manual), so did do my lessons and test on a manual to have the bases covered 

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@laneigerThanks, Lori!! You've been very helpful.  Much appreciated!!

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

@jaconaty1 Thanks, my friend!!

ReplyQuote
(@countydonegal)

Great news!! I received my Stamp 0 approval! I submitted my request and documentation in mid-July, so I wasn't expecting the approval until mid/late Oct, at the earliest. But, I'm elated and very relieved and can't wait to get on that plane on 11/1 and start my new adventure in Clifden, County Galway!! This has been a very helpful group and I feel fortunate to have discovered this site nearly 12 months ago!  Everyone's input, guidance, recommendations, and support has been so very much appreciated! Thank you everyone!!  

ReplyQuote
(@laneiger)

@countydonegal That is fab! 

I am sure such a relief, pop the bubbles!

Can I suggest, to make your life a bit easier next year, ensure you have all your documents electronically, and hard copies, good to scan everything for easy access for the annual renewal, which always seems to come too soon!

It is a simpler process requiring fewer documents (thank goodness)

John, Jeanne and I keep in touch on issues that seem to arise as we live our best lives here in Ireland. Reach out if you need anything else! 

Congrats. 

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 14
Share: